VMware Communities
Snorkledorf
Contributor
Contributor

Drag & drop to VM works, but is rejected by app

(VMWare Fusion 3.0.1 with latest VMWare Tools, running both Windows XP and Windows 2000 VMs)

I'm trying to drag a URL (specifically a favicon) from a Mac browser into an app with a drop box in a VM with the following results. If I drop it onto Wordpad, the URL shows up as text. If I drop it onto the drop box, the VM seems to try to accept it (the Windows pointer gains its "+" badge) but nothing happens when I drop it there. If I take the text I just dropped into Wordpad and drag it (within the VM) onto the drop box, it accepts it.

The same drop box will accept files dropped onto it, successfully queueing them (e.g. Mac OS .webloc files and txt files), though the Windows app has no idea what to do with them from that point so they just clog up the queue. So the drop box functionality itself seems to be working and accessible to host-machine drops. It's just that drops of text aren't being accepted into the app if they come from the host machine.

I've contacted the developer and he seems willing to look into it, but is understandably without a Mac to test it on. He says he's set up the drop box area to accept URLs, text, and files. And since Wordpad seems to be accepting the drop as text, it seems like we're almost there already...

I'd like to help the developer fix this. Does anybody have any ideas? What might be different about a drop from the host that might confuse the VM app?

The app with the drop box: Bulk Image Downloader ( Bulk Image Downloader )

Here's a sample image gallery to try to drop.

0 Kudos
0 Replies