VMware Communities
ClaytonM
Contributor
Contributor

Drag & drop, copy & paste etc not working with 2.0.1

I've just updated to Fusion 2.0.1 (from 2.0.0 and before that from 1.1.3). I'm running Leopard 10.5.5 and XP SP3 as a boot camp installation.

Since I've updated I have been unable to drag&drop or copy&paste between my Leopard desktop and Fusion. The Enter Unity & Snapshop related menu items are also all greyed out. This all worked fine before I updated.

I searched this forum before I posted; I have tried deleting the VMwareDND folder in Documents and Settings\etc and restarting, as well as un-installing VMware Tools on XP, rebooting twice and re-installing Tools. Neither made any difference.

Additionally I have un-installed VMware Tools from XP, restarted into Boot Camp "proper", deleted all files related to VMware and run three different registry cleaners, then in Leopard un-installed Fusion, deleted any other Fusion files left behind including the Virtual Machines folder, restarted and installed the whole thing again from scratch. But still no drag&drop etc!

Does anyone know of anything else to try to get it working again? Any suggestions would be appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
14 Replies
renegad3
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto the problems for me.

All worked fine prior to 2.0.1

Any help is obviously greatly appreciated.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rnoddy
Contributor
Contributor

Not that this helps you but it is working fine for me after the update.

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's also working perfectly here with a fresh install of the newest release of Solaris 10. This is, in fact, the best combination yet of Fusion and Solaris. And what a treat it is to finally have ZFS on the boot drive! Haven't tried starting XP yet.

So it would appear your problem is not universal - good for Fusion - but still a problem. Bad for you. Hopefully you'll have a solution soon. It sure sounds like VMWare tools is at fault.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ClaytonM: It sounds like you've tried just about everything shy of a clean build of OS X and a fresh install of Fusion 2.0.1 on top of a fresh OS X install. (Not suggesting you do it yet either.)

If you haven't tried creating a new Virtual Machine since installing 2.0.1 could you if only temporarily install a copy of Windows XP without registering or activation it and only installing VMware Tools and see if you can or cannot DnD under that scenario? (Doesn't have to be XP as long as it's a Fusion fully supported OS.)

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

dp_fusion: What version/bit of Solaris are you running and are VMware Tools working in full? Thanks.

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sol-10-u6-ga1-x86-dvd.iso is the newest from Sun (not OpenSolaris). It is 32-bit. I can drag/drop files between the Mac and Solaris desktops, both ways, copy/paste text works. I don't share file systems except via NFS and that works fine both ways (Using bridged network). Seamless mouse works and dynamic screen size works. CD/DVD sharing between Mac and Solaris works. I configured a USB controller and was able to attach a thumbdrive to Solaris. The VMWare tools installed perfectly first try.

This is installed on a first-gen MacBook Pro, 15" with Leopard, 2g RAM.

0 Kudos
ClaytonM
Contributor
Contributor

Woodyz: I just tried creating a new XP SP3 Virtual Machine and yes, Unity is available and drag&drop / copy&paste DO work.

So it would seem that since updating from Fusion 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 something has happened to my Boot Camp XP installation or VMware Tools to cause them not to work together properly. I would rather not have to re-install the BC install completely (I need to be able to fully boot into Windows otherwise I would just use a normal VM) so if anyone has any ideas on anything else I could try that would be great Smiley Happy I've just been removing any programs I recently installed/updated but no change.

You know I really wouldn't keep Windows around if I didn't have to Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ClaytonM
Contributor
Contributor

Just to let everyone know what I've tried.

It seemed VMware Tools was most likely the problem so I removed the updated 2.0.1 version (v7.9.4) and installed the previous version (v7.9.3) while still running the Fusion 2.0.1 application. This didn't help; still no Unity or drag&drop.

So I un-installed Tools from Windows again, then removed Fusion 2.0.1 from Leopard and re-installed 2.0.0. Drag&drop, copy&paste and Unity all worked straight away.

Just for completeness I tried installing the newer version of Tools alongside the Fusion 2.0.0 application but I'm not sure this worked properly (the version number in the VMware Tools Properties 'About' tab ended up reading 'e.x.p, build-116369'). But either way drag&drop etc all worked properly.

So it looks like it's the Fusion 2.0.1 application itself that seems to have issues with my Boot Camp XP installation rather than the updated VMware Tools, although I may have missed something glaringly obvious. However everything works properly with a "normal" VM installation. If there's any other information I can provide just let me know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jsturtridge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may want to have a look at this read since I believe it to be related.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/179719?tstart=30

J.

0 Kudos
ClaytonM
Contributor
Contributor

jsturtridge: definitely exactly the same problem, but for me re-installing just the 2.0.0 version of VMware Tools didn't work, I had to re-install the whole 2.0.0 application. Whether this is because I am using a Boot Camp installation rather than a normal VM I don't know, but it's the most obvious difference between the issues I was having and those Pbryanw and yourself experienced. But there's obviously something not quite right with drag&drop etc in this new version of Fusion.

0 Kudos
amagine
Contributor
Contributor

FEI:

Finally have vmtools working with OpenSolaris 10 with Fusion 2.0.1

Followed the Help instructions to a "T"

Once installation of vmtools was complete, I had to LOGOUT/LOGIN THEN REBOOT

Live Screen resize works, Mouse and Copy/Paste between Guest/Host works fine.

UNITY does not work though.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

UNITY does not work though.

I believe Unity is only currently expected to work in recent Windows and Linux guests.

0 Kudos
amagine
Contributor
Contributor

UNITY does not work though.I believe Unity is only currently expected to work in recent Windows and Linux guests.

Okay.

- In Addition -

Noticed on the Virtual Machine menu, that *Cancel VMWare Tools Installation *appears in the menu. Strange.

Reboot

Still appears.

0 Kudos
jsturtridge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All - have updated to 2.0.2 and this issue is now fixed.

Thanks VMware!

J.

0 Kudos