VMware Communities
sehested
Contributor
Contributor

Drag and drop no longer works

Since updating from Fusion 1.1.3 to 2 I had a lot of issues.

One of these are that DnD stopped working properly in unify.

I can drag files from Windows to MacOS

I can sometimes drag some files from MacOS to Windows

I can sometimes drag a .pdf file from MacOS desktop to Windows

I can't drag a n .xml file from MacOS desktop to Windows

The easy integration and moving of files between MacOS and Windows was one of the things I enjoyed in Fusion 1.1.3.

It made integration between MacOS and Windows appear seamless and nonintrusive.

Now this is no longer the case and I find myself searching for answers, considering downgrading and testing out alternative products.

All in all spending my time non-productively as opposed to be able to reap the benefits of MacOS and Windows XP integration.

iMac 2.8 GHz 4 GB RAM - Fusion 2.0.2 - Tools 7.9.3 - Windows XP SP3

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Now this is no longer the case and I find myself searching for answers, considering downgrading and testing out alternative products.

All in all spending my time non-productively as opposed to be able to reap the benefits of MacOS and Windows XP integration.

I know how you feel however before you go downgrading try uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tool to see if that clears up your issues. Uninstall VMware Tools from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel in Windows and then after rebooting reinstall from the Virtual Machines menu.

If that doesn't fix your issue you could try uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion too the if that doesn't work then downgrading is an option.

0 Kudos
sehested
Contributor
Contributor

Already tried uninstalling/installing VMtools the way you describe as it seams more or less to be the standard answer to most questions raised in this forum.

However the standard suggestion didn't resolve any of the issues I reported.

My next step will be to do a clean Fusion 1.1.3 install on a Mac where VMware has not been installed previously.

I will report back here when I have the results from downgrading to 1.1.3.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There are over 15000 discussion threads in the forum and I just searched the forum for the word Tools and there were 169 replies, not counting this one, containing the word tools and 234 containing VMware Tools and what the overlap is I can't say and for the heck of it even if there was no overlap it's 403 posts out of over 15000 discussion threads so that's less then 2.7% so it is obviously not the "standard suggestion" at such a low percentage.

That said VMware Tools are responsible for and necessary for many of the features to work properly so regardless of the number of times it suggested to be uninstalled/reinstalled it is suggested for good reasons. If uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools and or VMware Fusion doesn't resolve the issue you have then the only other suggestion before downgrading and or reinstalling OS X as well it to test with a clean-built Virtual Machine and if the issues persist then a downgrade would certainly be in order or trying a different virtualization product like Parallels would not be out of line.

While I have not had all the problems you've mentioned none the less I've had enough issues with 2.x over 1.x that the issues that I have has made me give up on using 2.x and while I've been using 1.x on my production system I am disappointed that the 2.0.2 release while noticeably better the the 2.0.0 release it's not good enough to keep me from switching to Parallels 4. I am however going to clean build my MBP and make a new recovery image one more time and install 2.0.2 and do a clean built Virtual Machine and if I still have the present issues that will be it and I will drop the clean built OS X Image on the MBP and install Parallels and see what happens.

0 Kudos
sehested
Contributor
Contributor

I have found the reason why DnD didn't work for me:

The filename contained illegal characters (RE_ *** URGENT *** 374 BLH Order status for Air gap probes *** URGENT ***) which crashed VMFusion DnD functionality.

This explains why I only sometimes could DnD a .pdf file.

Because after trying to drag a file with illegal characters DnD stops working until the VM is rebooted.

It would have been nice if VMFusion had tested the filename for me and informed me that it was illegal.

As things turned out I didn't realise that the filename was illegal until I tested DnD on Parallels.

All the tests I did on Parallels were successful and all the issues I been having with VMFusion where non-issues in Parallels.

So I decided to switch to Parallels and have now removed VMFusion from my computer.

In the end I felt my time was better spend trying out Parallels than downgrading to VMFusion 1.1.3

0 Kudos