VMware Communities
ek116
Contributor
Contributor

Drag and Drop copying not working in Fusion 3

I can't drag files from Mac OS 10.6 over to my XP running on Fusion 3. I could before with Fusion 2. Now, there seems to be a wall where I can't drag it into the XP background. Any workaround? Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
stukey
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue. I am running vmware Fusion 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.8. My virtual machine is running Windows XP SP3 Professional. I was able to drag and drop files from XP to my Mac under Fusion 2.0.6 but now this functionality has stopped working. I can drag files from Mac OS X to Windows XP but not from Windows to Mac OS X.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Stuart

0 Kudos
ralphdaily
Contributor
Contributor

I can't drag files from my XP VM desktop in Fusion 3 to my 10.6.2 desktop.

Update: I'm ok now after reinstalling tools. I don't have a boot camp partition.

0 Kudos
stukey
Contributor
Contributor

Are you using a BootCamp partition? I am. I logged this issue with vmware support (SR# 1455009701). After an initial email asking for debug logs (which I provided) I haven't heard anything from them in over a week. The tech did mention that vmware were aware of a bug with drag and drop and Fusion 3 and BootCamp partitions.

I found that if I enabled debugging (in vmware Preferences) I was able to use drag and drop after the second attempt at dragging a file. However this has now stopped working as well. I'm just waiting to hear back from vmware...

Best regards,

Stuart

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I can't drag files from Mac OS 10.6 over to my XP running on Fusion 3. I could before with Fusion 2. Now, there seems to be a wall where I can't drag it into the XP background. Any workaround? Thanks.

The Drag and Drop feature's functionality is provided in part via VMware Tools so you may what to try uninstalling VMware Tools, reboot the Virtual Machine and reinstall VMware Tools. If that doesn't help then try uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion and note that this does not delete your Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
stukey
Contributor
Contributor

Just as an FYI...

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the vmware Tools (several times). It didn't fix the issue and as I mentioned in my previous post, vmware have already confirmed this is a known issue in Fusion 3.0 with BootCamp partitions.

Kind regards,

Stuart

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First of all reply was to ek116 not you and there was no mention of Boot Camp in ek116's post. If ek116 is running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine then fine then your reply to ralphdaily is applicable to ek116's as well however for normal file based Virtual Machines the protocol has always been first uninstall/reinstall VMware Tools and if that doesn't work then uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion. Other things to check is to see that the VMware Tools processes are running in the Guest as well. Again what I've just now posted is the generally accepted protocol baring any specific know issue with a particular configuration like your particular situation and my original post was to the author of this thread hence why I quoted what was said by ek116's much less this is a threaded message so stop and see who the reply is to.

0 Kudos
Stubaan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks - another Stuart here, different to the one above Smiley Wink

I just started having this problem too. Until recently I could drag files and directories from my Windows Explorer to anywhere on my Mac. I do not use Bootcamp, and prefer my system in Single Window mode. I can drag and drop files when in Unity Mode, but I work with a number of windows open at once and this really isn't the best option for me. Besides, it was working a week ago - what gives?

I have tried repairing the Tool install with no change. Anyone make any progress resolving this?

0 Kudos
Stubaan
Contributor
Contributor

I have now noticed that the ability to drag and drop from Windows to Mac just... sorta... comes and goes.

Won't work. Then does work half an hour later. Then doesn't work for a couple of hours. Then works again.

Anything?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have tried repairing the Tool install with no change. Anyone make any progress resolving this?

You need to completely uninstall not repair and then after the Virtual Machine reboots then install VMware Tools. Also if that doesn't work then uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion and note that is does not delete your Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
cargen
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Can no longer drag and drop to XP since upgrading from v2 to v3. I am NOT using a Boot Camp partition. Operating a MacBook Pro 3.06 on 10.6.2. I've tried uninstalling VMware Tools completely and re-installing with NO success. To me drag and drop is one of the most vital features of a virtual PC and without it, the program is so crippled as to be nearly useless. Guess I'll have to downgrade back to v2.

Surprising that VMWare would release v3 with such a major problem.

VMWare, PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

0 Kudos
jessedylan
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed - I'm in the same situation. Drag and drop is absolutely essential to my use of Fusion, and since I upgraded to 3 I can't do it. I was actually hoping that the upgrade would make this process easier, not eliminate it. I'm not using Boot Camp, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Tools with no success. Please fix this VMWare!

0 Kudos
Spike747
Contributor
Contributor

So how does one completely uninstall VMware Tools without rousing the slumbering Windohs reauthorization dragons? I know, it's a silly question, as there's nothing deterministic about Windohs, and the same action repeated three times is apt to generate three different results. Still, I'm stuck with a Windohs VM that won't allow drag-and-drop, and when I uninstall VMware Tools the dragons awake and start bellowing "Reauthorize!" until I shut down and restore a backup of my VM to put them back to sleep.

0 Kudos
LWally
Contributor
Contributor

Aug. 15, 2013.

I could not drag a file from vmware fusion to my Mac Desktop.  Like all of you, this just started happening.  I uninstalled and reinstalled vmware tools and restarted the windows OS in vmware.  Now, in "Full Screen" mode I can select, right  click, and copy a file in My Documents the vmware image, then go to another window on the mac, right click and "Paste Item" onto the Mac Desktop.  Since I'm in Full Screen I cannot drag/drop.  If I go to "Single Window", now I can copy/paste in the image, then right click on the Mac Desktop, right-click and paste.  However I can no longer drag/drop in the image to the Mac so something has changed.  I have a workaround I guess.

0 Kudos