VMware Communities
gschiltz
Contributor
Contributor

Download VMWare Tools for Linux

Is it possible to download VMWare Tools for Linux? I know that during an Easy Install, I can have the installer itself download the tools, but the download is slow so I'd like to be able to download the tools installer once and use it on multiple installs of Linux guests. I'm using Fusion 3.1.3, and have the "light" installer, i.e. the one without the antivirus stuff included.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just an FYI... You'll need to manually extract the *.iso image and .sig files and place them in the appropriate folder and if you do not know what I'm talking about or know how to do it then do not download these files and instead go through the VMware Fusion GUI when needed.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
gschiltz
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
gschiltz
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to ask: if I use the non-"light" installer to install Fusion, does that also install the VMWare tools for Linux and other guest OS'es?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, I forgot to ask: if I use the non-"light" installer to install Fusion, does that also install the VMWare tools for Linux and other guest OS'es?

Full Package - Includes VMware Fusion Application - VMware Tools - 12 Month Free Windows AntiVirus - OVF Tool - And MacFUSE (Only usable with 32-bit kernels.)

VMware Fusion 3.1.3 (for Intel-based Macs)
File name: VMware-Fusion-3.1.3-416484.dmg
File size: 437M
File type: .dmg
Version: 3.1.3
MD5SUM: e19e5a2487955a5e60a2a4dc7e2b9096
SHA1SUM: 48edc8b598d1fe0876e8fbb34c2a257339946047

Light Package - Includes VMware Fusion Application Only

VMware Fusion 3.1.3 Light for Mac (for Intel-based Macs)
File name: VMware-Fusion-3.1.3-416484-light.dmg
File size: 150M
File type: .dmg
Version: 3.1.3
MD5SUM: f35ac5c15354723468257d2a48dc4f76
SHA1SUM: 3c849a62c45551fddb16eebf298cef7279d622a9

Click for information about using  MD5 checksums and SHA1 checksums.

0 Kudos
usafsajjad
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for vmware tools for linux. Also i am not fully aware of where to install it. I came across few articles that has instructions regarding how to do it.  Do they really work. I guess I have to find out.

Can anyone tell me where can I find latest vmware tool for vmware vsphere 5.0.    

0 Kudos
usafsajjad
Contributor
Contributor

I had vmware tools installed previously but i was getting a wrong message for vmware tools: Running/(Unsupported) and few other hosts Running/(Not Installed). I had a vmware tool version which was working just fine. To better understand the issue I uninstalled the VMware tools and now I am trying to find the latest version of vmware tools for my workstation 5.0.    

0 Kudos
Elderoaklander
Contributor
Contributor

Link for Linux tools is "Not Found"

Where can I locate VMWare Tools for Linux?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Elderoaklander
Contributor
Contributor

Woody:  At least one bad link (Linux).

Anyone:  Where is link to download VMWare Tools for Linux?

Thanks, Elderoaklander

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please don't hijack 10 year old threads.

Open VM Tools have not shipped with Fusion or Workstation for several years now.

They are included with your Linux distribution and should just be installed by default.

Otherwise, they can be installed from the distro's package manager.

i.e.: sudo apt install open-vm-tools && sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos