VMware Communities
ShaddamIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Downgrade from 4 to 3 :-(

Just went back to Fusion 3.13 until these glitches are solved (they are new to 4 & worked well in 3.13):

Windows Live Mail does not display its windows content properly

Homeworld 2 does not start, the process (actually, a rundll32 process) just hangs, consuming 100%

Battle for Middle Earth does not start (actually, a rundll32 process) just hangs, consuming 100%

I like a lot about Fusion, not least the fact that setting the guest to a non-native screen resolution does not change the host's screen resolution - I thus can swipe between Fusion and the Mac to my heart's content even when I'm running a game in 800 x 600. But at the moment it's not quite usable in a "productive" (er-hem) environment. (Well, the Live Mail issue is a real deal breaker, I think.)

Here's to hoping for a fix!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
stefanpmac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shaddam,

Before you downgraded back to VMF 3, did you uninstall the VM Tools from your Windows guest, and did you downgrade the image again (unless you didn't upgrade the image in the first place)

S.

0 Kudos
ShaddamIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just downgraded (set the compatibilty to Fusion 2 & 3), deleted Fusion 4 from the Applications directory on the Mac, re-installed Fusion 3.13, and the VM started up without any problems.

I'd really like Fusion 4 to work for me but I guess I'll wait until at least the Windows Live issues are solved.

There may be a solution for the games issues I have. The release notes at https://www.vmware.com/support/fusion4/doc/releasenotes_fusion_401.html mention a variable MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR that should be set to a specific value for "older" games to run. I haven't tried that yet, though.

0 Kudos