VMware Communities
CafNetMatt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Downgrade Fusion 12.2.1 Procedure?

Yesterday I upgraded VMware Fusion 12 to 12.2.1........and networking went to Hell.  I've read numerous posts about issues with no solutions.  I'm going to grade some packet captures to see what's up but I really need to get my VM working again ASAP.  I have a project with a tight time schedule and don't have time for in depth troubleshooting.  I've already troubleshot for a day with no definitive results except for really low download speeds and an inability to (fully) access many of the websites I need.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is information on downgrading from Fusion 12.2.1 to either 12.2.0 or 12.1.2.  I can't remember what version I had before the upgrade.  What I do know is that VMware Tools did not require a reinstall.  I've searched the site and Internet and only find articles about downgrading VM hardware versions or rolling back from 12 to 11.  I just need to rollback to an earlier version of 12.

Do I just install the older version of 12 over the top of 12.2.1?

I have not changed any VM settings except to reinstall VMware Tools.  The VM is hardware version 16.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CafNetMatt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just in case anyone else has this question.

I downgraded from 12.2.1 to 12.2.0 just using the normal installer for 12.2.0.  That's it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CafNetMatt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just in case anyone else has this question.

I downgraded from 12.2.1 to 12.2.0 just using the normal installer for 12.2.0.  That's it.

0 Kudos
tlaci60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

where can I find the normal installer for 12.2.0? 12.2.1 is extremely slow. What are the steps to downgrade it?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Drag VMware Fusion from Applications to the trash.. give your password when it asks for that.

Then Download Fusion 12.2.0 and install it.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
tlaci60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

12.2.0 works fine and 12.2.1 does not? I guess this downgrading keeps my VM ( win10)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You asked for 12.2.0, I don't have a problem with 12.2.1.
Yes, downgrading a x.x.1 version does not require you to do anything specific for the VM itself and it does keep the VM.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
tlaci60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I downgraded to 12.2.0 ( from 12.2.19 and it is also slow 😞

Should I try v11?? VMWare worked properly for years...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@tlaci60 wrote:

OK, I downgraded to 12.2.0 ( from 12.2.19 and it is also slow 😞

Should I try v11?? VMWare worked properly for years...

MacOS Big Sur and later needs at least VMware Fusion 12, earlier versions will not work.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
tlaci60
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM became slow I guess when I upgraded macOS to Monterey. VMWare and Apple developes should solve this issue.

I also tried Paralell, my key win 10 app generated runtime errors and I could not not set proper resolution for 5K display. So I also gave up with Paralell. I have to wait I am afraid, I do not have access to VMWare support, it is a paid support. I paid regurarly for most recent VMWare versions.

THX anyway,

László

0 Kudos
michaely31
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

your virtual machine is preserved when you delete the application?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

@michaely31 wrote:

your virtual machine is preserved when you delete the application?

Yes.

Just like Microsoft Office doesn't start deleting your documents when you uninstall Office.

--
Wil

0 Kudos