VMware Communities
expertmac
Contributor
Contributor

Don't check this box...

I frequently install MS Windows 10 under VMWare fusion 8.5 on new Mac's running macOS Sierra.

Every time again I waisted time with failing installations where the virtual machine could not find the installation disk.

The solution is simple:

DON"T CHECK THE "EASY INSTALL" box right at the beginning of the installation of Windows 10.

You can add the license key later...

Mac-Expert 2017-08-04 at 13.56.09.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Something else is going on in your case, I use that all the time without any problems.

What are you using for installation media?

0 Kudos
expertmac
Contributor
Contributor

On average I do one VMWare setup per week on a new Mac running the latest macOS.

The installer is every time a new downloaded ISO from Microsoft. downloaded to the desktop.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I seen this problem reported in the past when the installation media is not the US one.

Could that be causing your issue perhaps?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
expertmac
Contributor
Contributor

Nope all in the good old USA all new purchased licenses etc etc.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And you drag/drop into the wizard?

Is it a retail key, enterprise, or MSDN?

0 Kudos
expertmac
Contributor
Contributor

Yep tried that a well.

Purchase new licenses directly from the MS store. Download the ISO image directly to the machine

Not looking for a solution. Just sharing the info how to avoid this problem.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not looking for a solution. Just sharing the info how to avoid this problem.

That's OK, but if we ever want VMware to resolve this then it would be good to understand why you are seeing this.

So maybe you don't care about having it fixed, but we do like to see it addressed for other users.

Having no problem is better than avoiding it, knowing about the problem is the first step. Isolating the issue would be next.

Your scenario should have worked though. Not sure why it is failing.

You mention you are using Fusion 8.5, I presume you are on the latest version?

When you say Windows 10, are you downloading version 1703?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
expertmac
Contributor
Contributor

As stated in the original post;

1. New Mac (hi end MacBook Pro or iMac)
  2. Latest up to date macOS Sierra
  3. New download of VMware fusion for Mac 8.5 (not Pro) with new purchased license key
  4. New download MS Office 10 64bit Single language with with new purchased license key
  5. Dragged and dropped the ISO file stored on the desktop onto the VMware Fusion app
  6. Regular and advanced install fail in the same way
  7. Changing virtual drive and CD/DVD source doesn't help either

Ultimately I managed to get it to work but with lots of trial and error and steps I did not record.

Avoiding this waist of time is simplest done by up checking the box.  For faster install choose custome where I assign more processor and memory. Register Windows 10 after the installation and its subsequent updates have been completed.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Is the single language US english, and does the host have internet access during the install?

0 Kudos
expertmac
Contributor
Contributor

Yes its English

Yes it has internet connection

0 Kudos