VMware Communities
mossang
Contributor
Contributor

Does vmware fusion run on apple silicone?

Are there anyone using VMware Fusion on M1 mac?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor

Don't. know, but I have a followup question:

Currently, Fusion can host macOS 10.7 through 11.0 because those OSes can run on Intel processors. Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.7 which ran on only PPC processors can not be hosted.

Assuming VMware Fusion does (or will) run on Apple Silicon (M1 or other processors), will it be able to host future macOS versions once the run exclusively on Silicon and no longer run on Intel?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The answer to the question made by the Topic Starter is: No.

There currently is no VMware Fusion available for machines running an M1 processor.
This is being worked on by VMware and is expected to land somewhere in 2021. (I'd guess early 2021, we've only been told that it won't be this year anymore).

Note that the first version of VMware Fusion will only run virtual machines built for Arm processors, not for intel processors.
It has been told to us that VMware is investigating the possibility to emulate intel processors.

re. running on PPC. Actually 10.5 and upwards ran also on Intel processors. I have no idea if Rosetta will work, but it is doubtful that that will ever work on M1 based apple's.

hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor

Wil, thanks. I assumed it would take a while for a version of Fusion to be available to run on an M1 processor. Since, I don't. own a laptop with an M1, that is not urgently needed by me.

I do need clarification hover on your statement "the first version of VMware Fusion will only run virtual machines built for Arm processors, not for intel processors." As I am not as conversant with Windows platforms, am I correct that Windows 10 runs on both Intel and Arm architecture, i.e. that the new Fusion will continue to run Windows 10 but not older (non-arm) Windows and DOS VMs?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sadly there is currently no Windows 10 available for end users to run on Arm.
Yes, Windows 10 arm version actually exists, but sadly these are tied to existing hardware that you have to buy.
As an end user you cannot currently get Windows 10 for arm and run it as a virtual machine.

Unless Microsoft actually makes this available there won't be a Windows virtual machine you can run on your M1 laptop.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor

Wil, Thanks for the update (re: Windows 10 VM w/ Intel processor will not be able to run on the to-be-released Fusion written for the M1 processor).