VMware Communities
dcgeric
Contributor
Contributor

Does host shared folders work reliably for anyone?

Hi all,

I'm sharing the root of my host drive with my xp install run off a bootcamp drive. Runny under Leopard and previously under Tiger. Any access through the shared folders is seems to be pretty flaky.

If I compile in visual studio, every build one or more of the SBR files will not get built. After a few builds the NCB file will get locked and not release. If I build locally or hitting the same OSX hosted code, but over a SMB share, no problems.

This morning I went to save a photoshop file and get a message "Could not save as "filename" because of a disk error." Again the file saves locally fine and also saves using the SMB share.

It's quite obviously problems with the host shared folders, but I can't find anyway to report a bug except for paying for a support ticket. Is that my only option?

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It's quite obviously problems with the host shared folders, but I can't find anyway to report a bug except for paying for a support ticket. Is that my only option?

From my own experience, much less what is posted in the Forums, and for as long as (many years) I've used VMware's Workstation and now Fusion it seems the Shared Folder Feature has had issues.

The only suggestion I can make is to utilize other sharing methods based upon what the OSes have to offer and only use VMware's Shared Folders when it's not convenient to do it otherwise.

I as well as many others have noticed utilizing standard Samba and Windows Sharing methods works better than VMware's Shared Folder feature and therefore do not use that feature.

0 Kudos