VMware Communities
drbarney2
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if I can put the VM to sleep and then put the MAC to sleep or do I have to completely shutdown the VM before I can put the MAC to sleep?

Does anyone know if you can put the VM to sleep and then put the MAC to sleep or do you have to completely shutdown the VM before you can put the MAC to sleep?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you checked the "Pass power status to VM" check box in the Virtual Machine's settings as shown in the image below.

Pass_power_status_to_VM.png

0 Kudos
drbarney2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

Thank you for your quick response… FYI, I am running Windows 7 Pro

But no, I have not checked the "Pass power status to VM" check box in the Virtual Machine's settings as shown in your image.

To restate my question… I would like to know can I put my Mac in Sleep Mode if I put the VM in Sleep first or do I have to completely Shut Down the VM before I put my Mac in Sleep Mode?

Or by your response do you mean by passing the power status to the VM it controls the Mac side too and therefore if I put the VM to Sleep it also puts the Mac to Sleep?

Please confirm or clarify my understanding… Regards, drbarney2

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To restate my question… I would like to know can I put my Mac in Sleep Mode if I put the VM in Sleep first or do I have to completely Shut Down the VM before I put my Mac in Sleep Mode?

No need to restate your question and I understood what you were asking and didn't address it specifically because of the question I asked and image I provided I thought it would be obvious what it does.

Or by your response do you mean by passing the power status to the VM it controls the Mac side too and therefore if I put the VM to Sleep it also puts the Mac to Sleep?

Please confirm or clarify my understanding… Regards, drbarney2

It means with the "Pass power status to VM" check box checked and the Guest running VMware Tools then when you put the Mac to sleep the Virtual Machine should be sent a signal to also go to sleep.

Also look at your power management setting in the Guest OS.

0 Kudos
drbarney2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the additional clarification…

0 Kudos