VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Does VMware for Mac have a chance?

Just published in Infoworld:

Does VMware for Macs have a chance?

About 70,000 people registered for a free download of the software prior to the release of the beta version Dec. 21 and since then, about half of them have proceeded with the download, said Srinivas Krishnamurti, director of product management and market development for VMware.

Wow, 35,000 downloads!?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
IscariotJ
Contributor
Contributor

35,000? I wonder how that number compares to the # of downloads for Parallels latest beta?

0 Kudos
Deryni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know that I'm planning on using (or buying) Fusion when it releases. VMware has been very useful on the Windows platform, and the easy movement of VMs from Windows <--> Mac will be very nice.

0 Kudos
kbrackley
Contributor
Contributor

I've been using VMware on Linux hosts since the "1.0" days. I am using Parallels because I didn't have a choice (VMware didn't respond quickly enough for me Smiley Wink And I think Parallels is a great product. It may just be that most non-tech folks, the iLife folks per se, will benefit from a product like Parallels while people that already use VMware VMs may benefit from VMware.

I'm just thankful that we have two great products (soon to be) available for the Mac platform. And if EMC is listening, I hope they have a server-based VM Fusion product with snaphosts, etc. planned.

Now, how to get a bigger HDD in my Macbook Pro without screwing up the case!?

0 Kudos
JohnDProctor
Contributor
Contributor

As a user of Parallels since day 1 and having decried VMWare for their 'smokeware' (initially sort of announced pre June 2006 and then wait .... But I must say the wait was worth it! The USB support in the beta is better than the Parallels product rev 3106. The multicore support will really pay off for those luckey enough to have Mac Pros (envy....). So for those people with the need to run one or two programs maybe Parallels will cut it but the Fusion product realy looks like an 'industrial strength' item suitable to be used in anger! Well done VMWare. I'll take substance over form any day!

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

35,000 downloads? Is that supposed to be a COMPLAINT???

HOW TO KILL A PRODUCT LAUNCH -- Schedule it in the middle of the Christmas Holiday season. That way, you can be assured that only your most loyal tech-weenie customers with no life or family will check it out.

I'm finally getting a chance to play with Fusion. I've thus far loaded up one thing from VMTN and while it runs, I can't connect to it from my browser.

-David

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>35,000 downloads? Is that supposed to be a COMPLAINT???

>HOW TO KILL A PRODUCT LAUNCH -- Schedule it in the middle of the Christmas Holiday season. That way, you can be assured that only your most loyal tech-weenie customers with no life or family will check it out.

No, it's compliment to VMware since apparently all 35,000 downloaders ahead of you must have been "tech-weenies customers with no life". I take offense to that having a job, wife, kids and pets.

>I've thus far loaded up one thing from VMTN and while it runs, I can't connect to it from my browser.

Who's the weenie now? Nice way to ask for help.

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just commenting on what appears to be a very unusual complaint -- 70,000 people raised their hands over the past six months saying they're interested in this product, and "only" half of them have actually downloaded a copy and run it. The conclusion is implicit in the title: why ask if it's got a chance if you don't see this as a really poor response rate? I personally think that's a TERRIFIC response rate, ESPECIALLY considering the beta was launched in the midst of the Christmas season!

You're welcome to take offense at my comment, although it's really directed at the VMWare employee who's indicating unhappiness with the response rate they've gotten over the Christmas holidays. Gee, do ya think maybe a few of those other 35,000 people might have been just a little busy since the beta announcement??? They might be able to pick a worse time for a launch, but I'd be hardpressed to come up with one. Smiley Happy

Another explanation is also quite simple: the Fusion beta started, more or less, in August, then closed after a short time. (I'd call that more of an "alpha" launch.) Since then, people like me who were looking to buy a Mac for the Holidays (remember them?) and run Windows on it had no option other than Parallels. I got an iMac and a copy of Parallels on Thanksgiving night. I didn't load up Parallels right away, however, hoping that just maybe VMWare might announce something.

I even attended a local VMWare User's Group meeting. A VMWare guy was there, but he couldn't tell me anything either. So I finally and reluctantly loaded up Parallels and installed my new copy of XP.

Two days later, the email for the Fusion Beta arrived. Great timing, folks. But, I still don't know when this thing will be launched. (My guess is it'll be announced at MacWorld in a week or so, along with OS X 10.5.)

So I suppose I'm playing around with the beta just because I'm curious. Parallels seems to work fine for my needs, although I really haven't had time to suck in all the stuff from my main desktop yet.

From what I can tell, the Fusion VM is limited to running with 128M of RAM, which makes it pretty worthless for much of anything. Windows XP can barely run in that much RAM. Linux isn't too bad, but ... they're definitely not looking to this beta for any kind of "stress testing", IMO.

-David

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>The conclusion is implicit in the title: why ask if it's got a chance if you don't see this as a really poor response rate?

This is a complaint for the Infoworld article author which is the where the tile of the thread comes from. Look at the top of the thread for the article link. I think 35,000+ downloads over the holidays is a great start. If you read my threads you'll see I'm an optimistic supporter of Fusion.

>... hoping that just maybe VMWare might announce something. I even attended a local VMWare User's Group meeting. A VMWare guy was there, but he couldn't tell me anything either.

>Two days later, the email for the Fusion Beta arrived.

VMware announced all-along that a public beta of Fusion would be released by the end of year. It just doesn't sound like that was convenient enough for you.

>From what I can tell, the Fusion VM is limited to running with 128M of RAM, which makes it pretty worthless for much of anything. Windows XP can barely run in that much RAM.

You have a serious disconnect with Fusion's capabilities. You adjust the RAM for a VM in the settings, up to 3.6 GB (if you have that much). And you should read the release notes on the networking issues, they may help you get over your current blocks with the VMTN appliance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am pretty sure that Srinivas's comment about the 50% response rate was intended to be a statement of pride and not at all a complaint. Everybody I talk to is certainly rather stoked about it. And, yes, when you open registration in August and start offering downloads just before the December holidays, and still get 50%... wow! Put it this way: if VMware were the Mary Kay cosmetics company, then hpreg would be driving a pink Cadillac right now.

The Infoworld article was titled that way because of the question it posed: whether Parallels, because it shipped salable product first, now effectively owns the market. It's a fair question to ask, certainly. Everyone on this forum may have noticed that VMware has not folded its tents and gone home. Smiley Happy

Richard is quite correct that VMs can have more than 128 MB of RAM. In fact, although the present user interface tops out at 3.6 GB, persons with the moxie to edit .vmx files and also a Mac with a LOT of memory might find something suggestive to try in the Workstation 6 beta release notes.

P.S. Actually, hpreg would probably insist on a pink Peugeot. Son amour de patrie est impeccable.

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

>>The conclusion is implicit in the title: why ask if it's got a chance if you don't see this as a really poor response rate?

>This is a complaint for the Infoworld article author which is the where the tile of the thread comes from. Look at the top of the thread for the article link. I think 35,000+ downloads over the holidays is a great start. If you read my threads you'll see I'm an optimistic supporter of Fusion.

I read the article. It seemed to me that it was the guy from VMWare who wasn't too happy. But the way some writers spin things, you never know. Personally, I think the availability of VMWare on Macs will prove to be a Very Good Thing!

>VMware announced all-along that a public beta of Fusion would be released by the end of year. It just doesn't sound like that was convenient enough for you.

Yeah, and Santa Claus might show up some day, too. Sorry but I just don't place much stock in announcements like this. Besides, it's a beta, not a product launch. So convenience has nothing to do with it.

The only thing the guy at the VMWare UG said he could tell me was that it's in beta (which I already knew), that I should get on the list (a "waiting list"), and that when it's released it will only be sold in a Workstation configuration because Apple won't license it for use in Server configurations. Since he couldn't tell me more than "it's in beta", which is already public knowledge, I assume the other info is public knowledge as well. (He didn't even seem to realize that the "beta" was closed to new participants back in September or so.)

>You have a serious disconnect with Fusion's capabilities.

Probably. I looked over the info I could find, but it didn't seem all that informative. I thought it would be quickest to just install one of the 350 or so VMs that are already available, as I really don't feel like doing a full install myself.

I'm new to both VMWare and OS X. The materials I saw seem to be written for people who are already very familiar with VMWare, at least.

>You adjust the RAM for a VM in the settings, up to 3.6 GB (if you have that much). And you should read the release notes on the networking issues, they may help you get over your current blocks with the VMTN appliance.

Ahh, there's nothing like a handy dandy little popup that says, "this can only be adjusted when the machine is turned off." Hey, it's a VIRTUAL machine -- silly me for thinking that a virtual power switch makes a difference! Smiley Wink

But thanks for the tip.

-David

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

>The Infoworld article was titled that way because of the question it posed: whether Parallels, because it shipped salable product first, now effectively owns the market.

A fellow named Bill Davidow, who was Intel's first VP of Marketing, was famous for the following quote: "The first one to market gets half the market". That pithy bit of philosophy has been the driving force behind just about everything that Intel has ever done.

I think that it may very well hold true for Parallels as well.

What VMWare has going for it is the large and growing library of pre-defined VMs that can be downloaded and installed in any VMWare environment.

What Parallels did was introduce a viable product six months before the reigning market leader, at a much nicer price-point than VMWare typically offers -- $79 (with a common $20 rebate) vs. $295.

Parallels' VM for Windows is even cheaper. It'll be interesting to see how this affects VMWare's pricing over the next year! (From the UG meeting I attended, it almost seemed that VMWare considers their workstation market as an ugly stepchild. They clearly see much more value in enterprise resource management. I can't say I blame them, but I also can't tell you how many small software developers I've known who'd LOVE to employ something like VMWare in their normal work environments, but who refuse to pay $300 for the privledge.)

-David

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMware announced all-along that a public beta of

Fusion would be released by the end of year.

Sorry but I just don't place much stock in announcements like this.

Your skepticism in these matters is certainly justified. I think we are all pleased that, at least this year, Santa Claus did in fact show up.

The only thing the guy at the VMWare UG said he could

tell me was \[...]

that when it's released it will only be sold in a

Workstation configuration because Apple won't license

it for use in Server configurations.

Hmm, I fear that perhaps you and the VMware guy may have misunderstood one another. I Am Not A Lawyer, but I don't think VMware licensed anything from Apple, or vice versa. From Apple's perspective, Fusion is mostly just an app.

Perhaps the VMware person thought you were asking the very popular question of "When can I run Mac OS in a VM?" Now that does bear on licensing issues; Apple is very insistent that Mac OS must only run on Macs. But perhaps someday, if we all think good thoughts, you'll be able to run Mac OS in a VM on a Mac. A lot of people both in Palo Alto and in Cupertino would love to see that happen.

Or perhaps the VMware person thought you were asking the other very popular question of "When will ESX Server be supported on Mac Xserve hardware?" Nobody knows, but there's a whole bunch of issues for the MBAs and the device-driver authors to work on there too.

(He didn't even seem to

realize that the "beta" was closed to new

participants back in September or so.)

Well, strictly speaking, the beta wasn't closed in September. Rather, VMware ran a very, very small private beta with an earlier build of the product and a tiny, tiny subset of those 70,000 people. A lot of folks did not know about that earlier beta, although it generated a lot of good data that has contributed markedly to the success of the current public beta.

I looked over the info I could find, but

it didn't seem all that informative.

A fair criticism. Fusion's documentation is presently in its infancy, and its user interface is in, uh, maybe its adolescence? Yes, it'll be tough going for people new to VMware for a while. Fortunately, we have this forum, and we are very fortunate to have the participation of folks who have posted a lot of help for newer users.

Ahh, there's nothing like a handy dandy little popup

that says, "this can only be adjusted when the

machine is turned off." Hey, it's a VIRTUAL machine

-- silly me for thinking that a virtual power switch

makes a difference! Smiley Wink

Again, a fair criticism. Today's supported guest OSes (Vista being a notable exception) don't support hot-add RAM, so the VMware virtual machine doesn't (presently) support hot-add RAM either. But it is reasonable for someone new to VMware to have not been aware of this fact.

What Parallels did was introduce a viable product six months

before the reigning market leader, at a much nicer price-point

than VMWare typically offers -- $79 (with a common $20 rebate)

vs. $295.

Note that pricing for Fusion has not yet been established--or at least not revealed. Hey, I get a VMware paycheck, and I have no idea what the pricing will be.

Thanks for your posting.

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

>Hmm, I fear that perhaps you and the VMware guy may have misunderstood one another

Well, he's a marketing guy, and I'm a software developer.

'nuff said!

-David

0 Kudos
trowbrds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Funny how I keep seeing the cited "VMware Workstation Price Point" creeping up. First someone quoted 200, then 250, now 295!

Workstation costs $189, and has for quite some time.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Workstation costs $189, and has for quite some time.

Yes, I noticed this too but forgot to call it out. Thanks!

And another thing not mentioned often enough is with the exception of Teams, Linked Clones, Snapshots, Desktop Recording, etal, that the free[/i] VMware Server is an awesome product. It runs all the same content as WS 5.x (x64 hosts, x64 guests, etc), is cross-platform, it runs as a background service (WS6 has headless operation now too), and can be managed remotely. VMware Server is still the best bargain in virtualization having dropped in price from $1400/$2800 to $0 sans support. Not to mention it's pricing influenced pricing throughout the virtualization industry.

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

>Workstation costs $189, and has for quite some time

versus $79 (or less) for a comparable Parallels product.

I think that the good folks at VMWare discount the fact that there may be a LOT of people who have not looked at VMWare products since they WERE priced at nearly $300. I'm one example. And Server was in the thousands. That may have been "quite some time" ago, but ... these kinds of perceptions live on.

It doesn't help that "modern marketing techniques" tout the features and benefits, and you don't really get to see the price until you've made some effort to click through to a separate page with prices on it. All that while, the reader is thinking, "Well, let's see if they've added anything to make it worth $300 (or $2500 or whatever) now...". Maybe it's FREE, as with the Server now, but the question is, are these people discovering that?

I get lots of promotional emails that offer "$50 rebate on VMWare xyz", but they NEVER mention the actual price.

In fact, I picked up a bunch of discount cards at the User's Group meeting that said exatly this. Not one mention of the product price, only "$50 rebate until 12/31".

Come to think of it, I haven't even SEEN a price for VMWare lately, in spite of all the promotional mailings, newsletters, and other stuff about the Fusion beta. Why would I? It's only on the web page you see if you think you want to buy a copy and you click the "Buy Now" button or something like that.

If prices for these products has dropped, it's a well-kept secret.

Message was edited by:

TheToolWiz

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>versus $79 (or less) for a comparable Parallels product.

Did you know Parallels was originally $49.99 before Compactor was bundled in, and with various promotions it's been as low as $39.99, which is what I paid for it (with guess what, a $10 instant rebate).

>I get lots of promotional emails that offer "$50 rebate on VMWare xyz", but they NEVER mention the actual price.

I don't know of any rebates and or coupons that promise a specific price because price varies from retailer to retailer, channel or outlet, e.g. Amazon, VMware Store, etc. A savings amount is the only thing that makes sense.

>Come to think of it, I haven't even SEEN a price for VMWare lately

>It's only on the web page you see if you think you want to buy a copy and you click the "Buy Now" button or something like that.

Try visiting the VMware Store pricing page, http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/pricing.html With the exception of the enterprise products that vary by support and many factors, all the list prices for new and upgraded product are posted prominently and clearly. And you don't have to push a "Buy Now" to see them on the page above.

>If prices for these products has dropped, it's a well-kept secret.

I don't know what news outlets you read or how you follow this industry but I could fill this page with price change coverage for Workstation and Server from c|net, eweek, reuters, google news, yahoo, wired, nytimes, crn, infoworld, ziff-davis, computerworld, etal. And the blog list coverage is waaay longer.

0 Kudos
TheToolWiz
Contributor
Contributor

trowbrds stated:

>Funny how I keep seeing the cited "VMware Workstation Price Point" creeping up. First someone quoted 200, then 250, now 295!

To which I replied:

>If prices for these products has dropped, it's a well-kept secret.

Then you said:

>I don't know what news outlets you read or how you follow this industry but I could fill this page with price change coverage for Workstation and Server from c|net, eweek, reuters, google news, yahoo, wired, nytimes, crn, infoworld, ziff-davis, computerworld, etal. And the blog list coverage is waaay longer.

First you took offense that I was implying you spend too much time at your computer, and now you're suggesting that's the only way someone can keep up with price announcements. Well, which is it? I for one don't have that much spare time on my hands, even though I spend most of my days sitting at my computer programming.

How about something more simple? Like maybe vendors could put the MSRP on the page describing their products and save us all a lot of valueable time searching the web for price updates. duh! (The fact that the prices are listed somewhere else on the same site isn't much more useful than having them listed at CNet.)

Anyway, I'm still unaware that VMWare Workstation is comparable price-wise with Parallels, or that Fusion will be even close. Again, the MSRP of Parallels for Windows/Linux is $59, not $295/$195/$179 or whatever. That is, it's $100+ less than a comparable VMWare product.

I don't have to spend a whole lot of time surfing the web to figure that out.

-David

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>How about something more simple? Like maybe vendors could put the MSRP on the page describing their products and save us all a lot of valueable time searching the web for price updates. duh!

Some people don't want a sales pitch on the product description page, which is what a price might imply. VMware has a pricing page at the VMware Store which is easily accessible and has all the cost information you're looking for (except enterprise products which are complex to price).

>Anyway, I'm still unaware that VMWare Workstation is comparable price-wise with Parallels, or that Fusion will be even close. Again, the MSRP of Parallels for Windows/Linux is $59, not $295/$195/$179 or whatever. That is, it's $100+ less than a comparable VMWare product.

Why you are comparing Workstation to Parallels (Linux/Windows) pricing in a Mac product forum? Fusion is not[/b] Workstation and no one knows what Fusion pricing will be. I doubt even the developers know. So if you're making some sort of argument based on Fusion's current features it should be competitive with Parallels on the Mac, I'm sure VMware gets that. As to how VMware should notify you what the cost will be, they may want to hear your suggestions since you have very little time to surf the web.

0 Kudos