VMware Communities
rafaelfalcon
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware Fusion will work next version of MacOS?

I am running up a MacBook Air with latest version of MacOS, and time to time I have a pop up sauing that new MacOS realease will not support VMware Fusion, so could anyone help me to know if vmware will do something ? My macbook is Intel Pentium Core I5 (2017)

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What do you mean by "latest version of macOS" and what version of VMware Fusion are you running? What is the exact error message (screen shot would be helpful).

Fusion 12 is not yet supported running on the beta versions of Ventura, by the way.

VMware has not yet stated what Fusion version will support macOS Ventura.  If past experience is any kind of guide, they will release a new version that will support Ventura (as well as Monterey and possibly Big Sur). Whether or not they charge for that new version is up to anyone's speculation (some times they have, some times they haven't). Given that the next released version is likely to add support for Apple Silicon (M1/2) Macs, it's likely IMO that the next version will be a paid upgrade. 

I'd look to VMware's user conference coming up the end of August for additional information as that's when they typically have made Fusion and Workstation product announcements. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 12 does not support Ventura as host or guest.  Some folks are fiddling with it to get past the issues, but it's problematic (see the other threads.  Most likely (as is usual) we'll need to wait for official Ventura support from VMWare.  We don't know if that'll be in a free 12.5 upgrade or a paid Fusion 13 upgrade, and don't know if there will be a universal M1/Intel version or a separate Intel and M1 versions....lots of questions up in the air.  We expect an updated tech preview for the M1 machines later this month, so may have some hints when that happens.

As far as that warning, if it's about kernel extensions, then you're most likely running something earlier than Fusion 12, which no longer uses them (and will definitely not work on Ventura).  If you got it from Fusion 12, then that's really odd - a screenshot would be helpful.

P.S. No need to post in multiple threads 🙂

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

On top of what was said, it doesn't look like your mac (Macbook Air 2017) will support macOS Ventura as it supposedly only supports MBA 2018 or newer.

See:
https://www.macworld.com/article/782634/macos-ventura-compatibility.html

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
rafaelfalcon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, answering your questions: My MacOS is: MacOS Monterey 12.4 and VMware Fusion is: Player Version 12.2.3 (19436697) and regarding the message of the popup said it: 

"Legacy System Extension

Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "VMware Inc." which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support"

I want to thank for your prompt response and interest.

0 Kudos
rafaelfalcon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your ilustration about this topic it is more clear to me by now.

0 Kudos
rafaelfalcon
Contributor
Contributor

As part of the url article posted, it is that my MacBoo Air 2017 will not support MacOS Ventura, I hope that this article fails because of two year ago I have changed my 2012 MacBoo Air because it does no support new MacOs releases. Any way, the article is clear and so, thanks you for your help.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@rafaelfalcon Fusion 12 does not use legacy system extensions (kexts) on Big Sur (macOS 11) or Monterey (macOS 12).  You should not be seeing that message on the macOS/Fusion combination you say you’re running.

It is possible that you have remnants of a previous Fusion version that used legacy kernel extensions.

I would perform a complete manual uninstall of Fusion per KB article 
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 then reboot your Mac and reinstall Fusion. Your virtual machines will not be touched. Make sure you have your Fusion Player license key handy because the uninstall procedure removes the Fusion license key. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@rafaelfalcon wrote:

As part of the url article posted, it is that my MacBoo Air 2017 will not support MacOS Ventura, I hope that this article fails because of two year ago I have changed my 2012 MacBoo Air because it does no support new MacOs releases. Any way, the article is clear and so, thanks you for your help.

Sorry to be the confirmer of bad news, but your 2017 MacBook Air will not be able to run macOS Ventura. It is excluded from Apple's official support list, which you can see near the bottom of https://www.apple.com/macos/macos-ventura-preview/.

(You might be able to get Ventura working with a third-party hack but that is not a supported configuration for Apple or VMware Fusion; macOS Ventura running that way is likely to be missing support for some existing hardware features, have more compatibility issues than expected, and be less stable.)

The 2017 MacBook Air is the only 2017 Mac excluded from Ventura, because it is technically identical to the 2015 MacBook Air, apart from minor hardware changes such as more storage in base models, and in one of the base models a slightly faster CPU (of the same generation). The key reason these models are excluded is the processor generation: all Intel Macs supported by macOS Ventura have a generation 7 (Kaby Lake) or later processor, whereas the 2015/2017 MacBook Air has a generation 5 (Broadwell) processor.

This also means you may not be able to run macOS Ventura in a virtual machine on a 2017 MacBook Air, because parts of Ventura are known to require processor features which do not exist in older processor generations.

macOS Monterey is expected to get a further two years of security updates so you don't need to panic, but you will need a plan in two years time if you want to keep running VMware Fusion in a supported macOS version on an Intel Mac (required for Intel guest operating systems).

If you are looking for another Mac soon, I'd recommend avoiding other 2017 models as they might be dropped by macOS 14 next year. If you can delay the decision until mid June 2023 then we'll be able to confirm which models will be supported by macOS 14.

For using VMware Fusion you'd also be better served with a Mac that has more than two CPU cores (only having two cores can result in performance problems with virtualisation if your guest OS needs two cores, including Windows 10/11 and macOS guests). You should also make sure the Mac has at least 16 GB of memory and plenty of storage for your VMs.

Considering 2018 and later Intel Mac notebooks only, a minimum of four cores narrows the options to this list:

• 2020 MacBook Air with a Core i5 or Core i7 processor (not the entry level 1.1 GHz model with a Core i3).
  • 2019 or 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro with two Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • 2018, 2019 or 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro with four Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • 2018 or 2019 15-inch MacBook Pro.
  • 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro.

If desktop Macs are an option, you can add the following to the list. I'm excluding most iMacs because they don't have a T2 security chip and I'm thinking Apple might require that for Intel Macs in a future macOS version, which would result in the 2017 and 2019 iMacs (including all 21.5-inch iMacs) being dropped earlier than other models.

• 2018 Mac Mini (still sold new by Apple but probably not for much longer).
  • 2020 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display.
  • 2017 iMac Pro (the only 2017 model likely to be supported for longer than the rest from that year, and it has a T2 chip).
  • 2019 Mac Pro.

Looking further ahead, we all need to plan for the eventual end of macOS support for all Intel Macs, which also means VMware Fusion would stop supporting Intel Macs, and it would no longer be possible to run Intel-based guest operating systems in a VM on an Mac which is still getting security updates. There are several options beyond that point, which mainly depend on whether you still need to run Intel-based guest operating systems in a VM.

DayRider
Contributor
Contributor

"Fusion 12 does not support Ventura as host or guest."  Appreciate that you've mentioned it. Is there any official reference of it?  

I cannot even install Fusion 12.2.4 on macOS Ventura 13.0. The "File not Found" error message appears.  Is there any official reference of it?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It’s more of a reference by omission. This KB article is VMware’s official position https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571  on the supported combinations of macOS and Fusion. A combination not listed = not supported. They also have made no announcements that Fusion 12 is or will be supported on Ventura.

VMware typically has not gone back and retrofitted existing versions of Fusion to run on new major macOS releases. Given that track record, my expectation is that they will announce that the next Fusion version (hinted at being called Fusion 13 and hinted at being released very soon) will be the first Fusion version to support Ventura. That also means if you want to upgrade to Ventura, you’ll need to upgrade Fusion. 

Fusion 12 is also scheduled to reach its end of support as of December 22 2022. I doubt they’ll invest effort on qualifying it on Ventura when this end of support date is so close and they should have a new version out by then. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
wentlanc
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Fusion 12.2.4 on my 2020 Macbook Pro (Intel) and I just updated to Ventura. I have not experienced any functionality issues. I am mostly running a Windows VM on it, but I have Kali Linux and a few others as well. 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@DayRider here's the official reference. VMware just updated the Fusion host operating system matrix:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

Ventura is not listed as a supported OS for Fusion 12. Fusion 12 might work on Ventura, but at the first sign of a problem the advice will be "upgrade to Fusion 13". 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos