VMware Communities
EvanKatz
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware Fusion v. 11.5.3 (the current version as of today, 5/28/20) fully support the new Microsoft Windows 10 May 2020 version (a/k/a "2004" a/k/a "20H1") that is being released this week?

Does VMware Fusion v. 11.5.3 (the current version as of today, 5/28/20) fully support the new Microsoft Windows 10 May 2020 version (a/k/a "2004" a/k/a "20H1") that is being released this week?

Or will support for Windows 10 May 2020 require a new updated version of Fusion (perhaps v. 11.5.4)?  And if so, when will that be released?

I have Googled and searched all over VMware, but cannot find the answer.  And when I spoke with two people in VMware licensing, they did not know the answer either.

So, if you have a definitive answer, can you please reply and also post the Internet URL link.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Evan Katz

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I highly doubt that it will "fully support" that build of Windows 10.  However, the Fusion Tech Preview 20H2 should.

0 Kudos
EvanKatz
Contributor
Contributor

It seems completely unfathomable that VMware would not support the current version of Windows 10 for any significant period of time, and definitely now for an entire ~6 months.

It would substantially hurt VMware's Fusion business and reputation for being a top cutting-edge technology company.

Indeed, as Fusion customers for a decade or so, I recall that Fusion always supported the current version or Windows at launch or very shortly thereafter.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check this document for the latest: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
EvanKatz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott.

Thank you for your post and document link.  Much appreciated.

As you may have noted, the document is more than 200 pages long.  I performed multiple searches for relevant terms, but could not find anywhere in the document the answer to my question.

Were you able to find the answer in the document?  If so, could you please reply with the page number, and also kindly copy-and-paste the applicable language, so that I and others can readily find it.

Thanks!  Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Evan

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see no reason to read the document on your behalf, sorry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
EvanKatz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott.

Of course, I did not mean for you to do any work for me.

Rather, as you had replied to the question with a link to the document, I had assumed that you had found the answer in it.  That is, I understood your post to mean that you already had found the answer in the document to which you linked and referred me (and others).  That is why I asked you where in that doc the answer is, because I believed that you already had found it.

Sorry about the miscommunication.

Best regards,Evan

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Historically it depends on the level of development required.  It can range from none to major overhauls.  Somewhere in between is a cutoff where they will move support to the new version (same thing happens for both guests and hosts BTW) because of limited development resources.  What often happens is that it 'just works', but they don't run a full QA cycle until the new code comes out.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As you have seen, that document lists every supported guest and is updated frequently - so as soon as a new guest is supported by any product this will be reflected in the document.

0 Kudos
EvanKatz
Contributor
Contributor

For those who are not yet already aware, VMware today released Fusion v. 11.5.5!   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos