VMware Communities
PockieLoli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does VMware Fusion save Windows licenses?

Hi, I've had VMware for awhile now but I'm not happy with the performance I've been getting.

I had been using VMware for pretty much just one drawing software but I recenty found a software just as good that is native to Macs.

So I don't have a need for my VM anymore.

However, I still don't want to completely delete VMware Fusion or anything because my mom paid a computer guy a lot of money to get me VMware and a Windows OS.

I simply just want to delete the Windows XP guest I have because it's taking up a lot of hardrive space that woud be of better use to my Mac hardrive instead.

So my question is, if I delete Windows XP but keep VMware Fusion, will I be able to create a Windows XP guest OS again in the future with the same license as my current Windows OS so I don't have to purchase it again?

Thanks in advance to those who give some input. :]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So my question is, if I delete Windows XP but keep VMware Fusion, will I be able to create a Windows XP guest OS again in the future with the same license as my current Windows OS so I don't have to purchase it again?

You retain the license to use Windows XP in accordance with its EULA however make sure you have the Windows XP CD Product Key before you delete the Virtual Machine! Or if you have an external drive just move the Virtual Machine there and you will not need to start all over later if you need to use Windows again.

If you do decide to delete the Windows XP Virtual Machine then before you do make sure you have the Windows XP CD Product Key so you'll be able to install it again. If you are sure you have the Windows XP CD and the Product Key for that CD then you're safe to do what you want otherwise you'll need to extract the Windows CD Product Key from Windows before you delete it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You will still retain that Windows license and should be able to use it again. Make sure you have the Windows license code as well as media to reinstall it and you should be fine.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to VMware Fusion forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You retain the license to use Windows XP in accordance with its EULA however make sure you have the Windows XP CD Product Key before you delete the Virtual Machine! Or if you have an external drive just move the Virtual Machine there and you will not need to start all over later if you need to use Windows again.

If you do decide to delete the Windows XP Virtual Machine then before you do make sure you have the Windows XP CD Product Key so you'll be able to install it again. If you are sure you have the Windows XP CD and the Product Key for that CD then you're safe to do what you want otherwise you'll need to extract the Windows CD Product Key from Windows before you delete it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure you have the Windows license code as well as media to reinstall it and you should be fine.

Windows XP doesn't use a "Windows license code" however if you didn't provide the Windows XP CD Product Key during the install you will need the Windows XP CD Product Key before you can activate Windows after the install. (Note: Windows XP SP3 can be installed without using the Windows XP CD Product Key however it will be needed before you can activate Windows.)

PockieLoli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Also, sorry for placing this in the wrong board.

So while that does answer my question, that brings up another one.

Is there someway I can view whatever key/license I'm registered to so I can write it down?

Like I said, my mom paid a computer guy who works at her office to install everything for me.

He already had a VMware Fusion CD and some Windows CDs as well, so he handled all of that and I have no information on the licenses.

(Except for VMware because it shows up when it's updated.)

If there's no way to view it, I suppose I can try to find his number.

Oh and as for the media, are there Windows OS downloads available online like there are printer drivers for example?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you do not have the original Windows XP CD and know what type of distro it is then the Product Key will not do you any good unless you use the same type distro. In other words you can't use a Product Key from an OEM version on a Retail version also if you're downloading a legal copy Windows you'll have the Product Key with it so the issue is mute.

To get the Product Key have a look at: Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

0 Kudos
PockieLoli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I take it there's no way to find out what distro my Windows XP is?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I take it there's no way to find out what distro my Windows XP is?

You can tell from the Product IDs.

0 Kudos