VMware Communities
HAMHFN
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware Fusion 12 have USB issues?

Hi and thanks in anticipation. In anticipation of Big Sur I upgraded VMware to VMware Player 12. In doing so I lost USB connectivity. I get a message saying the USB device is being used by the host and to shutdown the host application or reload it. Unfortunately there is no host application using the device. Going back to an earlier version of Vmware and downgrading the VM in the compatibility options gets the USB ports working again. Any suggestions and has anyone else had an issue with USB on version 12?

VMWare 12.0 doesn't seem to be able to release the device from the Mac. Without any changes at all, on reloading VMware 11.5 all USB functions restored.

2020-09-22_17-16-32.png

7 Replies
ruettimac
Contributor
Contributor

This is definitely the case. I had to downgrade to 11.5.6 again. I wanted to use a LAN-Adapter and saw the same dialog as you.

wertland
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded as well to Fusion 12 and am having major USB issues (kernel panics, etc).  I am attempting a complete reinstall right now since this is (I think) my third time upgrading.

VMware Knowledge Base Link - Mac Uninstall Fusion

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi HAMHFN​,

Would you be so kind to collect a Fusion Support Bundle which demonstrates the issue.

1) Enable USB Verbose logging. Navigate to "Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced" and make sure the "Enable Verbose USB Debugging" checkbox is checked.

2) Power-on the VM and reproduce the issue one more time

2) Generate a Support Bundle from "Help > Collect Support Information".

3) Upload the generated Support Bundle to VMware's FTP following the instructions in VMware Knowledge Base . Instead of an SR number you can use, say, community-2985867 to name the directory in the FTP.

Regards,

Kamen

0 Kudos
HAMHFN
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your input. I have spent far too much time on this already and relieved that the earlier version of VMware works fine.

regards

jdavidso
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I did the VMware Fusion 12 trail and got the same issue back in September. Has this since been patched? With the release of Big Sur on Thursday I'd like to upgrade, but as I need VMWare Fusion and 11 isn't supported (to my knowledge). Kinda at a fork in the road. 

If you haven't received any support bundle for this let me know and I'll reinstall the trail to get this to you and the support team. Thanks 

0 Kudos
jdavidso
Contributor
Contributor

Since VMWare never followed up it appears that the issue has been resolved. Although I did have to go into my VM's setting and disable all advanced options within the Processor & Memory section.

0 Kudos
KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi HAMHFN,

Can you please try upgrading to Fusion 12.1 and check if the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Kamen

0 Kudos