VMware Communities
taurerm
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMWare run on a MacPro

I am planning to get me a MacPro tower alongside my MacBookPro - a friend gave me a heads-up that Parallels will not run yet on a MacPro... will VMWare do?

Thans

mt

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, VMware Fusion runs on a Mac Pro (my main work box is one, for example). Regarding Parallels, I think your friend is confused - AFAIK they can run on a Mac Pro too.

0 Kudos
jevel
Contributor
Contributor

I can only second etung here. I have tested both on the Pro, and they both work.

-KJ

0 Kudos
KrisHunt
Contributor
Contributor

Why would it not run on a Mac Pro? VMware Fusion is made for the Mac... the Mac Pro is the most powerful Mac to date... hmm.

0 Kudos
taurerm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your clarification - what made me suspicious was http://parallelsvirtualization.blogspot.com/2006/08/mac-pro-compatibility.html

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

what made me suspicious was http://parallelsvirtualization.blogspot.com/2006/08/mac-pro-compatibility.html

Aside from the fact that article is nearly 2 years old, and in this industry pretty much means no longer applicable, it doesn't even mention Fusion at all!

All you had to do was look at the Minimum Requirements for VMware Fusion and you would have know one of those requirements is * An Intel-based Mac (to run 64-bit operating systems, an Intel Mac with a Core 2 Duo or Xeon processor is required) and a Mac Pro is an Intel-based Mac.

0 Kudos
alaz
Contributor
Contributor

yes it will run and pretty good too i am a new user - can i recommend you think carefully how you wnt to set it up before installing and then set your preferences accordingly - I can now change the settings with help from people here - but it took a few frustrating tries to work it out - i wish i had set ip up properly to start with!

Alaz

MacbookPro 10.5.2, 2.4Ghz, Intel core 2 duo, 4Gb Ram

Alaz MacbookPro 10.5.2, 2.4Ghz, Intel core 2 duo, 4Gb Ram
0 Kudos