jesmith18
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMWare Fusion suport IPv6 virtual networking?

I need to support testing of an F5 LTM VE on both IPv4 & IPv6 concurrently.

Does VMWare Fusion suport IPv6 virtual networking?

I know that VMWare Fusion supports bridging to an IPv6 host network. But I need it support an IPv6 virtual network so that VMs can be configured to talk using IPv6.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ivivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In NAT mode VMs can be auto-configured with IPv6 addresses and they can talk to each other using IPv6. Talking to the host via IPv6 should happen using the host's physical IPv6 address.

Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've configured a virtual network for IPv6 attached it to the network adapter of a VM and I've assigned IPv6 addresses to both the interface on the VM and the interface for this network on the host.

When I ping6 from the host to the VM, it is not receiving any traffic

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
ivivanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The host interface you are talking about should be the 'bridgeXXX' interface created for the corresponding virtual network, right? In theory if the bridgeXXX interface is configured with an IPv6 address with the same prefix as the vmnet (e. g. for vmnet2 the default prefix should be fd15:4b5a:a52b:1002:/64, so the host address could be fd15:4b5a:a52b:1002::1), then there should be direct connectivity between the host and the VM. This is working as expected for IPv4 (for the same bridgeXXX interface on the host and the same virtual interface attached to the VM), but not for IPv6. We have filed a report to Apple about this behaviour but no update yet.

For the opposite direction (from the VM to the host) using an IPv6 address assigned to the host interface (with a different prefix than the subnet) would cause the traffic to pass through the router and reach the specified interface, but for the inbound direction unfortunately I don't have a good idea other than using IPv4.

Contributor
Contributor

Any updates on this?

0 Kudos