VMware Communities
TatianaTheDog
Contributor
Contributor

Does Fusion support running Windows 7 on Leopard 10.5.8 ?

I'm considering purchasing Fusion to run Crazytalk by Reallusion, Naturally Speaking Preferred, and possibly Flashants. My iMac is running Leopard 10.5.8, not Snow Leopard. (I haven't upgraded because there have been issues with Snow Leopard that would affect several Adobe products I am using.)

My question is, will Fusion operate Windows 7 on Leopard 10.5.8 ?

If not, would you recommend I get an OEM copy of Windows XP instead to use with Leopard and Fusion?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yes, it'll run just fine. I recommend Fusion 3 though, as it has support for Win7. Curious though, you must be on older versions of Adobe - CS4 runs just fine on 10.6.

BTW - OEM licenses are not legal to run as a virtual machine.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Curious though, you must be on older versions of Adobe - CS4 runs just fine on 10.6.

I don't know about the OP, but I'm not able to justify the cost of keeping up - I like Photoshop and Illustrator, but since I don't do graphics for a living, I'm still way back at versions 7 and 10 respectively :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
TatianaTheDog
Contributor
Contributor

@ dlhotka - Thanks! I'm using Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator - all on CS4, but I had read on some forums that people were experiencing major problems with CS4 in addition to CS3, when they switched over to Snow Leopard. Particularly in Photoshop. So that's why I'm nervous - but I'll go check those forums again to see if the problems have been resolved.

Thanks for the info on OEMS - an Apple employee had suggested I get the OEM Windows xp so I could run it via Bootcamp, while remaining on Leopard.

I'm obviously a newbie (since I'm not even using Fusion yet) and I marked my question as being "answered", but I definitely would like to hear from others if they have experienced any problems using Fusion 3/Windows 7/Leopard 10.5.8

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I can tell you that I've run Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign (and Lightroom) with absolutely no issues. My files are regularly >500MB, and my mom (who's an artist) runs files >2GB without issue, but haven't tried flash. CS3 definitely has oddiities. I did need to apply one patch by hand to clear up some console log errors (afraid I don't remember what that was). I can't wait for CS5 though - will finally have native 64 bit apps.

I ran on 10.5.8 with Win7 without any issues until I upgraded. You don't get the advantages of having a 64-bit host OS, but for 99% of the use, that's not a huge issue.

Interesting that an Apple employee would say that, but they may not have read the license. Keep in mind that though running an OEM version may not be in compliance with the license, lots of folks do it, and Microsoft doesn't seem to much care (they've never cracked down on folks selling them). I have run into some incompatibilites between Win7x64 with my old XP programs, and it also has much more overhead, for not a lot of benefit (IMHO). MS has a real challenge on their hands - XP SP3 is pretty darn good.

TatianaTheDog
Contributor
Contributor

That's great to hear you haven't had problems with CS4 on Snow Leopard.. I may upgrade, we'll see.. I didn't quite understand what you meant by, "I ran on 10.5.8 with Win7 without any issues until I upgraded." Do you mean upgraded to Snow Leopard.. ? And then still no issues, correct? Oh, and I'll definitely stick with the Windows 7 and stay away from the OEM - I always want to be in compliance. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Sorry - No problems before or after I upgraded. A bit redundant there, of course I stopped running on 10.5.8 after I upgraded!

0 Kudos