VMware Communities
ZapNZs
Contributor
Contributor

Does Fusion 7 work with the stable release of 10.11??...if so, how well??

Hello. I have the most recent version of Fusion 7. Having purchased it only about 4-ish months ago, I would prefer not to buy Fusion 8 and wait until Fusion 9. Right now, Fusion 7 runs great on my MBPr-15 with 10.10.5.

However, Yosemite really sucks. I want to get rid of it and go to El Capitan. I have browsed but not found a direct answer to how Fusion 7 works on 10.11. I am confident all the apps I need will be OK with 10.11...except Fusion. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

20 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As El Capitan only gets officially released later today I can't recommend updating right at this moment.

There have been others in the forum who updated earlier on and have posted about their problems here in the forum (sorry I've not got the time to search for you now)

The best thing to do is to wait until the next update of Fusion 7 and then update as it will have fixes against currently existing problems with El Capitan.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"However, Yosemite really sucks."

If that is your current opinion, upgrading will make you irate as El Capitan only adds more to what already

exists in Yosemite.  And if you are upgrading expecting to solve problems, they will most likely only get worse.

0 Kudos
SBrayybrooke
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same question! I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone can answer. Thanks for asking!

0 Kudos
Pascal_Sartoret
Contributor
Contributor

Same question here. I certainly don't want to have to buy again a new Fusion licence for every OS X release...

ZapNZs
Contributor
Contributor

"If that is your current opinion, upgrading will make you irate as El Capitan only adds more to what already

exists in Yosemite.  And if you are upgrading expecting to solve problems, they will most likely only get worse."

Huh?!?! Take a look at the issues people have had with Yosemite. It is one of the worst versions of OS X to date from a company that historically has made a name in reliable and stable software!!! Take Mail...let's not even discuss how many customers Apple drove to alcoholism when the initial stable release was unable to send any email. 10.11 promises a new IMAP engine and beta testers have reported significant improvements in mail functionality, especially with 'the nosey provider of the quasi-push mail that we all hate but have anyway'. To date even 10.10.5 has not resolved some of the mail issues, including the occasional "magically disappearing sent messages." That's far from the only productivity nightmare from Yosemite...let's not even discuss the network issues or the Finder or Preview problems. 10.11 is staged to do what Snow Leopard did for Leopard, what Mountain Lion did for Lion, and what Win 7 did for Vista.

So I do expect quite a few annoyances to be solved. Cosmetically, it appears pretty mundane which is fine. Under the hood, it should make substantial improvements with more emphasis on productivity than new features, and that is exactly what I am hoping for.

This is no different from the release of brand new cutting edge smart phones...new features and new abilities are great, awesome, and useful. However, if the phone can't make a phone call, we done gots ourselves a problem....

0 Kudos
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FWIW, the same people with the issues you have mentioned, still had those issues in all of the 10.11

Betas, including the majority of those mail issues!!

I for one, have had no issues whatsoever with Yosemite in any of the areas that you have spoken of.

It has run smooth and clean and mean.  Then again, I always keep all of my apps up to date with

their current releases and don't even try to attempt to use them past their prime, so to speak.

(on all 4 of my Macs from my 2010 Mini to my late 2013 27" iMac).

And also FWIW, my new shiny iPhone 6S works great and can also make phone calls.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

No comment on what the best version of OS X is (I'm on 10.9 :smileygrin: will consider going to 10.10 soon and El Cap? Down here it lives in a VM for now)

However as you mention email issues on Yosemite, I guess the following article might be of interest for you:

Outlook 2011, OS X El Capitan and the Pinwheel of Patience | Der Flounder

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
sdoughtie
Contributor
Contributor

Funny how no one has answered the question, "Does Fusion 7 work on OS X El Capitan?"

I have not had any problems with OS X Yosemite; except for the slow Fusion 7 where you have to issue the "sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10" command. People attribute it to a bug in OS X, however Apple didn't sell me a upgrade to Fusion 7 claiming that it works with Yosemite. In my opinion, the issue is with VMWare.

Sean Doughtie AEC Communications, Inc. www.aeccommunications.com
0 Kudos
ZapNZs
Contributor
Contributor

You may not have had issues, but quite a few users have and I am one of them. I'm not the longest-time user of OS X as I started with Panther, but at least between 10.3 through 10.10, 10.10 has been the most frustrating version of OS X ever, and Apple has recognized the shortcomings and is now addressing them. I figured I had little to lose and downloaded and installed 10.11. At least in regards to the email issue I was having, it appears to be fixed with 10.11 and I no longer have to use a bandaid code to BCC every single email I send to myself (and I am far from the only person with this issue with IMAP accounts.) Additionally, Preview now works correctly instead of the stupid jump scrolling (and is fast with large PDFs). At least for me, overall performance is faster and seamless...Mission Control blew me away. The new font is awesome. So a lot of the issues and gripes I have with Yosemite have, in my personal opinion, been addressed.

I said what the heck, downloaded it, and found that at least for me, Fusion 7.1.2 works WONDERFULLY with El Capitan. Windows 8.1 Pro runs better than ever. It is as fast or faster, with less heat generation (note that this less heat may not be related to Fusion as much as OS X programs I am running simultaneously in which certain tasks are now apparently being pushed to the GPU.) SL Server, Win 3.1, and XP all run fine also.

The only thing that does not work is, oddly, a specific 7-port USB-3 hub and a LaCie TB disk (which has always been flukey.) So for me I am very happy with the new OS. Like Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard, I think El Capitan is going to give rock solid performance, improved productivity, and reliability that exceeds 10.9 and 10.10. If so that will be nice as I will be able to upgrade my machines I am still running 10.8 on.

And I was making a joking reference to a different phone not made by Apple...I like my 6s too.

SBrayybrooke
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your comprehensive input ZapNZ. I will download and try myself.

0 Kudos
SBrayybrooke
Contributor
Contributor

I have also now downloaded El Capitan and installed it on my MBP i7 with VM Fusion 7.1.2 and Windows 10. It works perfectly! Tested with Office Pro 2013 and a variety of W10 desktop functions and all fine.

Stevos101
Contributor
Contributor

Glad I found this thread, as I really wanted to avoid yet another paid Fusion upgrade as well!

I've also upgraded to El Capitan now on a MBP15 2014, and Fusion 7.1.2 appears to work extremely well with my various Linux and Windows based guests. I run them in full screen most of the time and, so far, everything is running silky smooth.

As a side note, the awful Mail problems I was having in Yosemite seem to be solved in El Capitan.

0 Kudos
sdsmpie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i 100% agree with you Pascal.

i'm stil using version 6.6 and got version 7 last year with a nice discount code..Stil every time a new version of OSX comes out we have to buy a new version of Fusion??

The reason i got version 7 was that i was thinking of updating from Mavericks to Yosemite. But i never did because of all the stuff i kept reading about Yosemite..

Now i'm looking at "El Capitan" and thinking ok ok i can update my os..If i can turn of all the privacy crap. And prevent my documents to autosave inside the apple cloud and so on..

But then Vmware comes again with a version 8 ..

I switched from Parallels just because of this kid of behaviour..

Im getting fed up with this crap.. And if they keep bugging me like this i'l just switch to CENTOS and get enterprise virtualiziation for  free..

Don't get me wrong i don't mind paying for software as is the proof of my upgrade without ever using the dam software..

I will be e-mailing VMware with my complaint.

sdsmpie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ZapNZs,

i'm still running Maverick (10.9.5 ) and Fusion 6.0.6 i bought version 7 licentie last year (with a promo code saving me $50 ) thinking i would upgrade to Yosemite (10.10).

But i never did upgrade and i'm happily runing Mavericks..

At one point i think i will be upgrading to "El Capitan" but for now i'm running a couple of Linux vm's that i need for my studies and don't want to mess with that..

Just wanted to ask if you could test running a "Centos 7" vm  inside your Fusion 7.1.2 on "El Capitann"..

i also have a couple of old win7 vm's that i keep for my must have apps ..but use them like twice a year 😉

Hope you have the time to look at it ,, would be awesome..

i don't think i will be upgrading to Fusio 8 ..as i'm kind of fed up with all that update hassle costing me way way to much..

0 Kudos
sdsmpie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

music to my ears  SBrayybrooke,

i realise many use fusion for windows install..

but that's my secondary usage.. i mainly use it for my Linux studies..

i really wish someone could try installing a basic Centos7 Linux install and see if they encountered any problems rebooting and starting the graphical environment (for example)..

Here is a nice how to install Centos7 if you or any one else has the time to test it out.. on El Capitan running Fusio7.

http://www.tecmint.com/centos-7-installation/

0 Kudos
ZapNZs
Contributor
Contributor

Sdsmpie,

El Capitan is worth upgrading to. It is restoring the confidence loss that accompanied Yosemite, and it is running as well as Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard. It is far more stable, more user friendly, better utilizes the expensive GPUs found in the MBP-15, Mac Pro, and iMac, improves WiFi functionality, and for the first time in nearly half a decade the Mail app is now reliable enough for enterprise usage. Some features that have existed for quite some time have been greatly improved, making the overall experience of usage more enjoyable & less stressful, IMO. So while many reviewers have described El Capitan as a very minor update, I completely disagree with this statement because the functional improvements are substantial and I am far more interested in how an operating system runs compared to what it looks like (which is why I try to buy the 's' model iPhones.)

The only current widespread issue is with USB. El Capitan saw a major overhaul of the driver used for USB 3 devices and hubs, and the OS is not correctly identifying USB 3 components in some situations causing USB to sometimes have issues. These issues range from slow speeds to devices not working to kernel panics being caused by the USB connection. I spoke to an OS X engineer about it two days ago when I sent them quite a bit of documentation and they now are aware of the issue and working on it. Based on the conversation, I feel that the driver will require substantial changes that will not happen overnight. For the time being, I've just been using an older USB 2 hub as USB 2 devices seem to still operate fine. There is currently a bandaid workaround for those unable to wait for 10.11.1. It is also worth noting that some users of Office 2016 are having some issues with Office not running well on El Capitan. Microsoft is working on a fix. My version of Office 2011 works flawlessly.

I am not worried about the USB issues as I feel El Capitan has proved to me that Apple can still get the job done right and that "good enough" is not an acceptable standard for 10.11. (For that matter, iOS9 and the materials overhaul of the iPhone 6s is further restoring my confidence because Apple has spent a lot of time addressing significant frustrations and various weaknesses, some of which have existed for quite some time and have never been fully rectified.)

I agree the Fusion upgrade is annoying. It's not as bad as Parallels, but literally VMWARE now wants me to give them another $50 after less than half a year of usage. So I am not sure if I will get Fusion 8 or if I will just wait until 9. I am honestly not acquainted enough with Linux to tell you how well it works...I used Red Hat quite a long time ago, but never to a point where I felt I had much competency.

Stevos101
Contributor
Contributor

sdsmpie

I'm using CentOS 7 x64 on Fusion 7.1.2 since upgrading to El Capitan and it's running just fine. Gnome works well and is very snappy in full screen mode on my 2014 MBP15.

vmware-tools installed without any issues, and cut'n'paste works ok.

Unity mode doesn't work though, but that's not an issue for me as I only run my vm's in full screen mode so I haven't bothered trying to find a solution for that.

Also running a number of other Linux variants (Debian/Ubuntu/Elementary OS), all of which I use for testing work stuff, and so far they all perform great.

I was also concerned about upgrading Mac OS whilst keeping Fusion 7, as I've been burnt by previous Mac OS/Fusion upgrades, but this time the upgrade to El Capitan, for me anyway, has been painless.

So I'm happy to stick with Fusion 7 and hopefully skip Fusion 8 completely. It's frustrating that VMware try to rake in more cash from loyal paying customers every time a new Mac OS is released!

wila
Immortal
Immortal

re. "Unity doesn't work though" remark for Fusion 7.

Unity support for Linux guest OS's has been pulled in Fusion 8, so buying Fusion 8 for getting unity support in a Linux guest will only end up in disappointment.

See here for more details on that: http://planetvm.net/blog/?p=2936

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sdsmpie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx ZapNZs,

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the matter.

I 100% agree with your point of view on the matter of looks vs internal improvements.

i much rather have under the  hood improvements than a nice look.

if i have the option to disable sum features that i don't use and or am comfortable with than is sound like "El Capitan" is een winner..

At the moment i also mount my NAS storage using smb and not afp because of all the meta data osx leaves behind om my Qnap.

Of course i understand the need for the meta data but i not in my case..

i'm really impressed with what your saying, to tell you the truth i had believed Apple forgot all about the laptop/desktop users and was focusing on i-devices ad the major $$ profit avenue..

Of course i like my i6 and later on my i7 (i usually skip the S models hahaha) but i can do without my i-device and not my computer..hahahaha...

i have many apps that i wan't to test be four i switch my main MBP-15 late 2012 " NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB"

as i have an old mac-mini i will use that as a test case...But a good backup also does the trick..i think i'l wait until the first update..

i do use my usb-3 dock so i appreciate that problem being resolved.. i use the dock for backups and store a couple of large movies on external disks.

Still reading what you have to say restored my confidence in OSX. And i will certainly make the move from "Maverick" to El Capitan.

I read that even my older mac-mini that i got november 2009 should be able to upgrade..So that's good news for my testing needs..

i haven't even used my fusion 7 pro key yet.. i just payed for it during a deal $50 and left it there..

so like you i will skip 8 and see if i have to go to 9.. Because even getting a better deal for 8 , only means 9 is not far off..

By the way no news on TRIM support inside "El Capitan" at the moment i have a OCZ drive and it has build in TRIM that according to the forums @ ocz has good build in TRIM

so there is no need to use third party software / hack to enable it.. Sinds i only use one third of the space i'm good for now..But i don't like to use more then 75% of an SSD anyway..

Thanks again.

0 Kudos