VMware Communities
danatkorg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does Fusion 6 allow use of integrated graphics on the Retina MBPro?

Fusion 5 forces the use of the discrete graphics chip on the Retina MBPro, which dramatically decreases battery life. Does Fusion 6 allow the use of the integrated graphics instead?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, a third-party app such as gfxCardStatus is required to control which GPU is used in conjunction with VMware Fusion as it will by default switch to discrete upon starting/resuming a Virtual Macine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use a rMBP and use gfxCardStatus (http://gfx.io) to achieve this when needed. I use it more for testing than battery savings. Either way there are some limitations to bear in mind:

1. VMware Fusion 5 or higher checks for gfxCardStatus when it is opened. It will warn if the utility is found. This is because dynamically switching the GPU from under a 3D aware applications, including a running virtual machine, is likely to cause an application crash.

2. My rMBP can't drive an external display when forced on to integrated graphics. Cody notes this limitation on his how-to page (http://gfx.io/howto.html)

Forcing discrete before opening VMware Fusion should be safe.

0 Kudos
danatkorg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I'm familiar with gfxCardStatus. I am still interested to know whether Fusion 6 still forces the use of the discrete graphics, or whether it can optionally stay on the integrated graphics - without need for third-party hacks, as useful as they are. The competition allows this, and it will be a criteria in my choice of whether to upgrade to 6 or switch VMs.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, a third-party app such as gfxCardStatus is required to control which GPU is used in conjunction with VMware Fusion as it will by default switch to discrete upon starting/resuming a Virtual Macine.

0 Kudos
danatkorg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry to keep asking, but does this still apply to Fusion 6, which was announced today?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have replied! Smiley Wink

danatkorg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Virtualsj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't download gfxCardStaus 2.3 any more. Any ideas on a alternate location for the zip file?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

gfxCardStatus by cody krieger

That's the home site.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here you go, gfxCardStatus-2.3.zip file attached.

0 Kudos
Virtualsj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks WoodyZ

0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have gfxCardStatus 2.3 installed and it doesn't seem to prevent VMWare Fusion 6 (or 5 for that matter) from using discrete graphics at all. On Mavericks, when you open Activity Monitor, it still reports vmware-vmx process as using "high performance" discrete graphics. My VM guest OS is currently mostly idle, and it is reporting hefty 50+ energy impact.

It is very disappointing that we cannot specify graphics mode in Fusion. I run mostly command line Linux guest OSs.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

virtualpboy wrote: I have gfxCardStatus 2.3 installed and it doesn't seem to prevent VMWare Fusion 6 (or 5 for that matter) from using discrete graphics at all. On Mavericks, when you open Activity Monitor, it still reports vmware-vmx process as using "high performance" discrete graphics. My VM guest OS is currently mostly idle, and it is reporting hefty 50+ energy impact.

I'm using VMware Fusion 6 under OS X 10.8.3 and when I set gfxCardStatus to Integrated Only that is what's being used while running a Virtual Machine!  I based my original reply on the fact that gfxCardStatus reports that Integrated Only is what's being used and the analysis of sampling of the vmware-vmx process is not showing any calls to the GeForceGLDriver until I select either Discrete Only or Dynamic Switching.   My testing was further supported by the fact when I plug in my 27" Thunderbolt Display while gfxCardStatus is set to Integrated Only, whether or not the Virtual Machine is running, the Thunderbolt Display stays dark until I select either Discrete Only or Dynamic Switching as it requires the use of the Discrete GPU.

OS X Mavericks has not yet been released however the OS X Mavericks Developer Preview is Beta Software and with the exception of changes to Localizations in gfxCardStatus it appears there hasn't been other work on gfxCardStatus in over 9 months so even though the gfxCardStatus requirements show OS X Lion (10.7) or newer and 2008-2012, 15-17" dual-GPU MacBook Pro, I'd venture to say that gfxCardStatus may not work properly in the OS X Mavericks Developer Preview and since it appears core development hasn't moved in over 9 months that gfxCardStatus may also not work properly in the OS X Mavericks when it is released.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just to make sure - you don't have an external monitor plugged in do you?  That forces discrete, and can't be overridden.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The latest release (2.3) of gfxCardStatus displays a message if trying to switch to Integrated Only and either an external monitor is attached or an app that requires discrete graphics is running as in the image below.  So if virtualpboy is using gfxCardStatus 2.3 he'd know that.

gfxCardStatus2.3_message.png

0 Kudos
virtualpboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am aware of external monitor vs. integrated graphics limitations and yes, gfxCardStatus 2.3 is currently reporting "Integrated Only" (Intel HD Graphics 3000) with Fusion 6 running. It is entirely possible that Mavericks is mis-reporting "vmware-vmx" process as requiring "High Performance GPU" or that it is merely an indicating what the app is supposed to use, not what it is actively using.

In either case, I am still sad that even on version 6, there is no setting to restrict guest OS from using discrete graphics.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just to make sure, you're setting 'integrated only' before launching Fusion (not just before launching the VM).

otherwise, yep, looks like 10.9 breaks it.

0 Kudos