VMware Communities
Panther007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects work well with Fusion?

Hey everyone,

I am in the middle of a semester in college and am using Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects (Windows version). I was wondering if Fusion would work well with these programs? I plan on updating Fusion sometime next week to the latest version.

The mac I will be using is a August 2008 iMac (Running 10.5.6). 3.06Ghz, 4 gigs of RAM, 1TB HD, and a Nvidia GeForce 8800. I will also be installing Windows XP Pro edition and set that to use both processors and 2-3 gigs of RAM.

I also will be putting this on a new account to make sure virtually nothing is running while im running Fusion.

I will be using this for my college final.

Edit: I forgot to mention. I am using CS3. My school hasn't updated to CS4 yet.

Also, do you guys think a 64 bit version of Vista will work better then 32 bit XP on that partition?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I like Fusion as much as anyone here and use it a lot. But, saying that...

You're using this for something really important - your college final. You need it to work at best performance with as few problems as possible since you don't have a lot of time left (in the grand scheme of things) in your semester.

My advice - Don't experiment. Bypass Fusion (as heretical as that sounds on this forum) and run Premiere and AfterEffects in a natively booted Windows XP OS that's on a BootCamp partition. Video editing will stress the I/O and graphics performance of your system - and nothing works better for that than native access to the system.

Running dual CPUs in a VM with Fusion on a machine with 2 cores may not result in best performance and is not recommended.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I like Fusion as much as anyone here and use it a lot. But, saying that...

You're using this for something really important - your college final. You need it to work at best performance with as few problems as possible since you don't have a lot of time left (in the grand scheme of things) in your semester.

My advice - Don't experiment. Bypass Fusion (as heretical as that sounds on this forum) and run Premiere and AfterEffects in a natively booted Windows XP OS that's on a BootCamp partition. Video editing will stress the I/O and graphics performance of your system - and nothing works better for that than native access to the system.

Running dual CPUs in a VM with Fusion on a machine with 2 cores may not result in best performance and is not recommended.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Panther007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

FYI: We do use the Adobe products as part of our internal test suite, and basic functionality works as well as can be expected in a VM. As pointed out by Technogeezer, these applications are very demanding for both video and hard drive subsystems, and performance will depend on the complexity of your project (as well as your system specs). I would experiment with a smaller project to see how things work for you. I don't know how you have your system configured, but a good balance might be to do primary work on a bootcamp partition, and then use Fusion to make any adjustments.

0 Kudos