VMware Communities
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Do you have USB problem in Fusion 4.0.1

Can you connect your USB device to the VM after upgrade to Fusion 4.0.1? I saw some one are suffering from 'error code 4' problem which is he cannot connect the USB device to the guest, but I can connect the external USB drive to my Win 7 vm and do some file transfer behaviors so far. Welcome to share your experiences. Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MirjamS
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded to Fusion 4 this morning. No USB-problem here, I just checked. I can remove from inside Windows and insert, and then I get the question whether I want to connect to the Mac or Windows.

So far this works fine.

BDB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this problem almost every time I restart my Fusion 4.0.1, and now 4.0.2. It is semi-random, but happens the majority of start-ups. I have tried shutting all the way down, and just suspending for the night. Makes no difference.

I have 2 USB license dongles I have to connect to run Windows based software. I will get a message saying "Cannot connect to USB device. Contact VMWare technical support. Error Code 4." That is not exact, but the essence of what is being said.

So far my solution has been to restart and try connecting DURING THE RESTART PROCESS. If I wait until Windows is booted, no way. Usually I can connect this way within 3 restarts. Some days it just comes right up.

Am running on MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.8, 2 GHz Intel i7, 8 GB RAM, 2 USB hubs, plus 27" Cinema display. I never had this problem on Fusion 3.x.x. It started with update to 4.0.1

0 Kudos
astley
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error once you turn off the Debugging in Preference Diagnostics after upgraded from VM Fusion 3.13 to 4.02.

This problem was annoying me for over 1 week resulted to uninstall and reinstall VM Tools serveral times, as like the other user experienced, and tried many ways but won't fix it. Finally, turn on the Debugging, the USB works well !! However, the Win7 on WM is running very slow!

BTW, the Workaround Tool is able to solve the USB problem. My Win7 Ultimate on VM4.02 is working fine now.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200736...

MacBookAir 13", mid 2011, OSX 10.7.2 Lion, Core i5, 256G SSD.

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I can confirm, that running Fusion 4.0.2 on Snow Leopard, with Ubuntu guest USB does not work (error code 4). But if I turn on debugging, it does work.

The USB device in question is Android phone (Samsung Galaxy SII).

It is rather frustrating to see that Fusion 4 is really half-backed product...

Regards,

Miha (a happy fusion 3 customer, hesitant to upgrade to fusion 4).

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In contrast, I have nearly the same setup and it works reliably for me. Snow Leopard host, Fusion 4.0.2, Ubuntu 11.04 guest, Nook Color. Running with debugging and without debugging both work fine (as in I can run 'adb logcat' and see output). It may be some quirk of your particular device, you should open support requests and maybe check out http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102525...

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

koi,

thanks for your feedback. I had some other minor issues and just could fiddle with settings and keep restarting machines, so I downgraded to 3.1.3 - as this is my primary work environment - so I could continue with my work.

I will just add, that if virtual machine works with 3.1.3, I would certainly expect it to work with 4.x, without me fiddling with vmx settings. I'll wait for the next upgrade and test again.

Regards,

Miha.

0 Kudos
hansk201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I have fusing 4.0.2 running on a brand new 13" MBA (base model). There I have the problem. No USB device will connect.

Then I Installed Fusion 4.0.2 on my mid 2009 24" Imac. No problems. All USB devices connect flawlessly.

Both machines are running Lion 10.7.1

So it seems to be hardware dependant.

0 Kudos
mihaval
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth, I was testing this on 2009 13" MacBook (unibody). iMac is left with 3.0.3 at the moment with no current plans of upgrading.

Regards,

Miha.

0 Kudos