VMware Communities
zippidty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I need to install antivirus software on virtual machine if I only use vm for a windows only printer driver?

Hello All,

Have been searching for a qualifying answer via Google and here, so far found none.

I am currently set up with Fusion 3.0.1/XP Pro on an iMac/ Snow Leopard. The only reason I have to use Fusion on this machine is this. We have a Sony SnapLab Pro UP_CR20L digital photo printer for our personal use. Brief background on printer: These printers are sold on the business side of Sony website, typically used in kiosk, retail store settings. Sony has supplied only a Windows printer driver for this printer, therefore my need to use Fusion to print from my computer to the SnapLab.

That being said, I do not intend to use the vm for anything other than this one function: printing photos from my picture folder on the Mac side thru XP to the printer. No internet browsing on the XP side. Period.

Can anyone offer up any reasons to fiddle with the headaches of running antivirus software on the vm?

Thanks to all~

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

NONE. Windows isn't as security prone as everyone seems to think.

For one thing, Windows is only as GOOD as the user. If you use this VM, and you browse the NET, and download files, the USER is the reason Windows crashes, not Windows.

Windows makes it EASY because you are by default an Administrator, rather than in Linux requiring users to escalate to an Admin user.

So if you install Windows 2008 or Windows 7 leave User Access mode enabled, don't make the user a member of Admins, and you will have NO problems.

So no you don't NEED AV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

NONE. Windows isn't as security prone as everyone seems to think.

For one thing, Windows is only as GOOD as the user. If you use this VM, and you browse the NET, and download files, the USER is the reason Windows crashes, not Windows.

Windows makes it EASY because you are by default an Administrator, rather than in Linux requiring users to escalate to an Admin user.

So if you install Windows 2008 or Windows 7 leave User Access mode enabled, don't make the user a member of Admins, and you will have NO problems.

So no you don't NEED AV.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are installing Windows and the Printer driver only and it never access the Internet or allow connectivity to a LAN and maybe also remove the Network Adapter from the Virtual Machine via its Settings then I see no reason to install an AntiVirus program however if the Virtual Machine has Network Connectivity in any respect or you're attaching storage devices to the Virtual Machine or moving files that have potential to infect or be infected then I'd have an AntiVirus and Firewall programs installed, running and maintain updates to the OS and AntiVirus and Firewall programs.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also you can elminate the VM completely, buy a CHEAP Printer / Cable router. Plug the printer into the USB port, that router will accept TCP/IP and print TO the printer.

You don't need Windows at all... So you can print natively from MAC, and use a similar driver... You may find that HP LJ printer drivers WILL work with that printer.. Or a similar generic driver.

0 Kudos
noetus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would follow RParker's advice.

But for what it's worth, I have been using Fusion for a couple of years now, on several Windows installations (Win 2003 Server and Win 7 mostly). The Windows VM has full access to the internet (networking in NAT mode) and is set up to synchronize over the net with other Windows machines but I do almost all of my surfing, and all my email, on the Mac side. I have never installed any antivirus product on the Windows side and never had an issue of any sort.

Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For home users running Windows XP or later, I recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus software. It's very lightweight on system resources.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

0 Kudos