VMware Communities
Consortium1
Contributor
Contributor

Do I Need to Install Windows OS to use VM Ware Fusion?

I would like to move my PC laptop as a Virtual Machine onto VM Ware Fusion, which is on my Macbook Pro. Do I need to install a full version of Windows XP in order to use the new virtual machine? I imported the virtual machine previously, but couldn't figure out full functionality and assume it's because I don't have Windows XP installed within VM Ware Fusion...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

How did you "import" your PC into Fusion? With VMware Converter?

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Consortium1
Contributor
Contributor

I used the VMware Converter and was able to see my virtual machine

right away. It was a pretty simple process, although the size of the

VM was really huge (50 GB), which obviously isn't ideal. Part of the

reason I want to do this is that all my Windows-based Cisco/Remote

Desktop/Hamachi programs are already on there.

I wasn't able to complete the sync process in general (never could get

internet connectivity from within the virtual machine, which is

obviously crucial to Cisco networking).

I had a feeling that I needed to install Windows XP before importing

my virtual machine again and maybe it would solve the problem. I'd

rather not do this if it isn't necessary, both for the expense and

disc space it will eat up. I'll only be using the VM for server access

for work; not much else.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Uncle_Art
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you were able to boot your "converted" PC from inside Fusion... it's fine, (well, clearly, as you said, not FINE fine) and you should not need to reinstall windows. There are likely some goofy configuration issues between the actual "real" hardware on your PC laptop and the "Virtual" hardware that Fusion "fakes" by itself.

IIRC, the Hugeness of the converted machine is due to Fusion converting the Entire Harddrive from the original machine...not just the "files and folders".

Start inside windows Device Manager, make sure it's ok with the Hardware that Fusion has presented it... (look for the yellow exclamation point baddies)

Then, search the forum and documentation for pointers/tips on the various Networking Methods within Fusion, and how and why each one should be used...

But, in short, no you don't need to Install a fresh copy of Windows... AS LONG AS the original Install was not an OEM version, as its' licensing prohibits moving it to "new hardware".

Good Luck.

-art

0 Kudos
Consortium1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.

To clarify further, I have NEVER installed Windows XP (or any other Windows operating system) within VMware Fusion. I converted my old PC laptop to a VM with the Converter Tool and then imported directly to VMware on my Macbook.

This is still a grey area to me. Must I install a full Windows XP operating system and THEN add my VM created on my PC with the Converter Tool? Or will it work to simply add a VM to VMware Fusion without actually installing Windows first?

Regarding the reduction of the VM file size, many thanks on that advice too. I'll see if I can scale it back with your help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you used VMware vCenter Converter to virtualize a physical machine then you have already created a Virtual Machine and there is no need to have to install Windows separately in order to have the already created Virtual Machine work. Suggest you read the documentation. VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Creating Virtual Machines > Converting an Existing Physical PC to a Virtual Machine

Also if the Physical Machine you're trying to convert came with Windows per-installed than you cannot use it in a Virtual Machines as it is not transferable by the EULA and in some case will not run because it checks to see if it's on the OEM Hardware which of course it isn't if you transfer it. VMware vCenter Converter is for Uses that have a legally transferable Windows OS like a Retail of Volume License version that you has acquainted licenses for.

0 Kudos