VMware Communities
laferrera
Contributor
Contributor

Disappearing screen elements using Fusion 7 on a Windows 7 VM in Unity mode

When running Fusion 7 on a MBP (mid-2014, 16 GB, OS X 10.9.4) in Unity mode, I am having elements from Windows 7 windows disappear randomly, and then reappear only when I hover the mouse over them or move the window.

For example, the window below is missing text, a text field, a drop down menu and a button.

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 8.53.55 AM.png

It should look like this:

2014-09-23_09-20-10b.png

Any ideas?  The VM has been upgraded from Fusion 6.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
fubvmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please try to change the compatibility to Hardware version 10 and see if this issue still reproduce?

To change the compatibility, go to VM setting -> Compatibility -> Advanced options, then select 10 from the dropdown.

And would you please collect support data so our dev can look into it?

0 Kudos
laferrera
Contributor
Contributor

Changing to HW version 10 did not remedy the issue.  See attached.

I assume you want hang/crash mode for diagnostics collection?

0 Kudos
fubvmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks laferrera! A bug has been filed for this issue.

0 Kudos
hsafer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a similar, or perhaps the same, problem; it started when I upgraded to Fusion v7. When I use Word or Excel (version 2007) in Unity, the file opens ok, but after a few seconds the screen goes white. Elements are redisplayed briefly when I move the mouse over them, but then they revert to white. The programs are unusable in Unity, but are fine in full-screen mode.

I am running Fusion v7 with Windows XP on a MacBoook Pro. I have allocated 1GB memory to Fusion. The problem remained when I switched compatibility back to hardware version 10, and also when I disabled 3D graphics acceleration (under hardware version 11).

Support information is attached.

Thanks,

Hershel

0 Kudos
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello!

I have had the same problem with Java applications on MacOSX guests.

I discovered that, for me, the problem was related to the newest version of VMTools.

See:VMTools from Fusion7 breaks Java screen refresh on MacOSX-10.9(.5) guests

Best regards,

- Morten Green Hermansen, Fanitas

0 Kudos