VMware Communities
plasticphyte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disabling Time Synchronisation - Corrupt VMX - Fusion 11.0.1

Hi all,

Running VMware Fusion Professional Version 11.0.1 (10738065) and following the instructions for disabling time synchronisation (per VMware Knowledge Base).

The following flags have been added to the vmx file for the VM:

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.continue = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.restore = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.resume.disk = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.shrink = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.tools.startup = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.tools.enable = "FALSE"

time.synchronize.resume.host = "FALSE"

The problem is that if the tools.syncTime = "FALSE" flag is left in, the VM cannot start, instead it throws an error - "VMX is corrupt". When that option is removed, the VM can start.

With all these options set to FALSE, the date and time within the guest macOS VM still revert back to the current date and time within several moments of reverting the date and time (have obviously disabled setting the date and time automatically in the macOS preferences).

I have disabled the network interface on this machine for reasons, however the issue occurs regardless of network state.

Basically I have very specific needs to have a macOS VM in VMware Fusion 11.0.1 have its date set within a specific time period, but the steps outlined in the article do not appear to work.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Check to see whether there is already a line that indicates

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

If there are duplicate entries with differing values, it could either result in an error message as what you encounter or indicate an error "Dictionary problem".

There are other vmx entries that can let me set the time at specific offset/difference from current time or let you have the VM always start at a particular date/time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Check to see whether there is already a line that indicates

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

If there are duplicate entries with differing values, it could either result in an error message as what you encounter or indicate an error "Dictionary problem".

There are other vmx entries that can let me set the time at specific offset/difference from current time or let you have the VM always start at a particular date/time.

0 Kudos
plasticphyte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't know how I missed the duplicate tools.syncTime, but I did.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos