VMware Communities
Creepy_Gnome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disable and Change Keyboard Mappings

Hello,

There are several keyboard remappings that Fusion seems do automatically that are annoying and not needed for me. Also the Ctrl-Command keyboard combo for returing input to the host doesn't work for me because I have a tool that makes my Ctrl key work as the command key as well as a Ctrl so that I can work more naturally in my Mac (I have been a windows user since the 3.1 days) and I am not going to be able to reprogram myself to do everything the Mac way espically when it comes to keyboard functionality. Also I use a PC 101 keyboard on my Mac as well so I do not need any tool to auto remap my mac keyboard funtions to other keys.

In short:

1. How do I disable the auto keyboard re-mappings Fusion does in my VM?

2. How can I re-map the Ctrl-Command key for Fusion to return input back to the host?

I will settle for hacks or 3rd party tools that will work.

Kind Regards,

-Creepy Gnome

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there any documentation on this preferences file to know what all the settings are and what they do?

There is no official documentation. maintains a very good unofficial list at http://sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

For changing the hotkey combo, try pref.hotkey.{alt,control,shift,gui} settings - I just tried changing the combo to ctrl-option-cmd, and it worked for me. Note that the strings don't seem to updated, e.g. Fusion will still say "press control-cmd" even if you change the hotkey combo to something else.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. How do I disable the auto keyboard re-mappings Fusion does in my VM?

Edit the "~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences" file by adding the following line:

pref.mapMacShortcutKeys = "FALSE"

Note: ~ is your Home Folder.

Creepy_Gnome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is great thanks. #1 was way more annoying than #2. Smiley Happy

Is there any documentation on this preferences file to know what all the settings are and what they do?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no official documentation. maintains a very good unofficial list at http://sanbarrow.com/vmx.html

For changing the hotkey combo, try pref.hotkey.{alt,control,shift,gui} settings - I just tried changing the combo to ctrl-option-cmd, and it worked for me. Note that the strings don't seem to updated, e.g. Fusion will still say "press control-cmd" even if you change the hotkey combo to something else.

0 Kudos
Creepy_Gnome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, this is awesome. Thanks guys. Great fast answers!

0 Kudos
Creepy_Gnome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Edit the "~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences" file by adding the following line:

This sounded good, but when I put it to the test it didn't work. First it already had a pref.mapMacShortcutKeysENABLED = "TRUE" option so I tried changing that to FALSE and it didn't work. So I changed that to be exactly as you stated pref.mapMacShortcutKeys = "FALSE" and that didn't work either.

Between each I shut down the VM and Quit Fusion.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I would assume the file is read again when I start Fusion up. Do you think it remaps them in the VM Windows via it's registry so that the Windows is always mapped this way and is not a translation between the environments?

My testing that this doesn't work includes using the Home and End keys primarily which are the most annoying of the Mac functionality to me.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well... I just tested it on my system and it works!

BTW My preferences file did not have pref.mapMacShortcutKeysENABLED = "TRUE" and not that it matters as the correct preference is what I originally posted!

Make sure Fusion is closed when you make the edit...

Make sure the preferences file does not have an extension like .txt

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The explanation for "pref.mapMacShortcutKeysEnabled" vs "pref.mapMacShortcutKeys" is that the former is controlled by the Preferences "Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts". The latter was supposed to be tied to this as well, but the person who made the change inadvertently left out "Enabled".

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Eric, Thanks for the additional information/explanation and that certainly makes sense. I also assume since I haven't changed that preference the default is in place and not need to have it in the references file untill I change it in VMware Fusion Preferences.

0 Kudos
Creepy_Gnome
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dude WoodyZ calm down. Do need for the all the "!" points or the attitude. I was not mad at you or anything, I am just trying to get to the bottom of an issue. I am sorry if my post came off offensive to you in anyway.

If you read what I said I tried it both ways and neither worked for me and I also stated I closed Fusion between each try. The file has no extension.

I tried it with both settings:

pref.mapMacShortcutKeysENABLED = "TRUE"

And all combinations of having both or only one, and done of them seem to work.

Here is my setup:

VMware Fusion v1.1.1 (72241)

Running a Windows XP SP2 VM

When I open up IE7 or even Notepad and I hit the Home key it only goes one character to the left and if I hit the End key it only goes one character to the right. This is not how these keys are supposed to work in Windows. They are supposed to go to the beginning and end of line the cursor is on. The funny thing is that this isn't even normal behavior for these keys in on a Mac.

I checked other keys and all the Ctrl functions do not work right like Ctrl-A just types an 'a'. Its like it is ignoring the Ctrl key in these cases.

This is what I have and how I am testing it. All I want is for the Keyboard functions in the Windows VM to work as they do on a regular Windows install.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dude WoodyZ calm down. Do need for the all the "!" points or the attitude. I was not mad at you or anything, I am just trying to get to the bottom of an issue. I am sorry if my post came off offensive to you in anyway.

First of all there was no need to tell me to calm down for my previous post! Second of all using a single exclamation point at the end of a sentence does not necessarily denote attitude, it's also is to give emphasis to what was said and not necessarily in a negative manner either! However using several might depending on the context!!!

I did not think you were mad a me nor did I take you previous post as offensive however I can't say the same about your last one!!!

You're the one with the problem and I'm only trying to help however since you feel I have a bad attitude that's fine, someone else can help you...

0 Kudos