VMware Communities
blimbert
Contributor
Contributor

Disable Shared File Creation

Hello - I am running Mac High Sierra, 10.13.6, and a Windows 10 virtual environment.  I have enabled sharing of the Mac desktop.  On the Window's file explorer, I see the following two files within the shared Mac Desktop - .DS_Store and .localized. 

I'm not sure of their purpose.  Are they required?  Is there a way to disable those from appearing? 

Thank you,

Brian

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Reply
minivlab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Those are default files created by macOS.  The DS_Store file contains attributes such as view preferences, positions of icons, etc.  The localized file is to tell the OS to display file/folder names local to the proper language.  On macOS they are hidden by default, and can be a nuisance in Windows/other OSes.  If you delete them, they usually get regenerated. You may be able to mark them as "hidden" within Windows to solve the issue.

You can check this out, but I don't believe it'll work because this is for network shares mounted on the mac, not directories on the mac being presented as a network share...https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/stop-ds-store-files-mac-network/

0 Kudos