VMware Communities
Unknown_Strange
Contributor
Contributor

DirectX support for Windows 98 Guest.

I installed Windows 98 as a guest, and instaleld DirectX 8.1 for Windows 98, but when I do the Directdraw and Direct3D test, they all fail, and I can't run any old DirectX 3D Windows 98 games.

I notice the driver that VMWare gives you is just an SVGA driver which I don't think supports DirectX, is there anyway I can get older Windows 98 DX games to run on Windows 98?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jbruno322
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing a very similar problem and would be grateful for some information on this topic. Even if the answer is it isn't supported. That would be fine with me. I'm just trying to explore some options to make an old game work.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello @Jbruno,

It would have made more sense to create your own thread as to tag along on a thread of over 2 years old.

Anyways...

Check that you enabled 3D on the guest.

If you did that, then make sure that the virtual hardware on the windows 98 machine is up to date (If it isn't, then you can select "Upgrade virtual Machine" from the Virtual Machines menu,

hope this helps,

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

DirectX isn't supported for Windows 98 guests. Does this game run in a Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 guest?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

DirectX isn't supported for Windows 98 guests. Does this game run in a Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 guest?

:smileyshocked: It's not supported? Learning something new again. OK, it makes sense for such an old OS, but I didn't expect it not to work.

Thanks for correcting me.

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos