VMware Communities
jshakerley
Contributor
Contributor

Direct3D renderer in Win 98 SE / VMWare 5?

Dear reader,

I have Windows 98 SE installed in VMWare Fusion Version 5 on a rMBP with OS X 10.8.4.  I installed this older OS in order to be able to access some old games.

A persistent problem that I am having is that the games are not recognising the fact that I have a preference for Direct3D renderer rather than software rendering - as a result their resolution is extremely low and not good enough to actually play the games due to the small size.  Enabling/disabling 3D acceleration in the VM settings makes no difference.

Is there a way I can install another 3D rendering option or force a preference for Direct3D?  If not, would I fare better with Windows ME?

With thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

direct 3d is not supported in windows 98 guest os in fusion 5.

And as far is resolution goes , I have a resolution of 1440x 738 which matched the resolution of my host .which game are you trying to play ?

Cheers! Avanish
jshakerley
Contributor
Contributor

What about Windows ME?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

jshakerley wrote: What about Windows ME?

If you have a copy then just try it, however Windows XP is probably the oldest version of Windows that one will get better results.  Although nothing will be as good as installing a game natively! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
jshakerley
Contributor
Contributor

Windows ME hasn't yielded any better results. 

OK if I try XP I will need to buy a copy (I'd get the 32 bit Home Edition), so are you reasonably confident that DirectX will work with it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

jshakerley wrote: OK if I try XP I will need to buy a copy (I'd get the 32 bit Home Edition), so are you reasonably confident that DirectX will work with it?

First of all I do not play games in Virtual Machines and rarely do it natively so all I can do is point you to is what's said in the VMware Fusion Product FAQs...

Can I play 3D games in a virtual machine?

Yes, VMware Fusion 5 has 3D accelerated graphics support allowing you to play most games that require DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 3 or OpenGL 2.1 in Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 virtual machines.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

For a lot of old games, I now just buy them again on www.gog.com (great old games).  They use a number of techniques that allow them to run on Win7, and generally work just fine in a Fusion VM.

0 Kudos