VMware Communities
j0ker
Contributor
Contributor

Direct input not working. (Can not activate keyboard or mouse to my vm´s)

Hello.

I am using Fusion 1.0 RC1 50460 and i can not get direct input to work. I can start my virtual machines but when i try to click inside the window nothing happens. Tried fullscreen but it was the same result. Found nothing on google or here so i posted my first message.

Message was edited by:

j0ker

0 Kudos
47 Replies
spaterso
Contributor
Contributor

Oops, you are correct (Workstation 6).

0 Kudos
TrevorJacques
Contributor
Contributor

Unchecking "Enable MacOS keyboard shortcu" doesn't fix it for me.

I tried this, too. No effect. It feels like I was sold a Ferrari and received a brick.

A product that cannot accept keyboard input is surely not ready for prime time. Keyboard input is pretty basic stuff.

0 Kudos
TrevorJacques
Contributor
Contributor

Unchecking "Enable MacOS keyboard shortcu" doesn't fix it for me.

I tried this, too. No effect. It feels like I was sold a Ferrari and received a brick.

A product that cannot accept keyboard input is surely not ready for prime time. Keyboard input is pretty basic stuff.

0 Kudos
vvegas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just experienced this problem this morning on my Santa Rosa MBPro with XP SP2 Guest. I have a bluetooth Mighty mouse and a USB Mac Keyboard. I could never get XP to take input from any of the input devices (whether the keyboard/mousepad on the laptop or the external devices). I tried reconnecting the keyboard and turning on/off bluetooth, but no luck. You get the hand icon but can't do anything. I can use select send ctrl-alt-del option from the menu and that works, but grab input doesn't seem to do anything. The host works just fine.

I restarted the VM and still had the problem. It was resolved only after shutting down the VM, shutting down VMWare Fusion, and then restarting Fusion and the VM. Magically, everything is working again.

Running VMWare Fusion 1.1 beta 1.

0 Kudos
mykmelez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just experienced this with an Ubuntu 7.04 VM running in Fusion 1.1beta1. Restarting the VM didn't fix the problem, nor did restarting Fusion the first time, but the second time I restarted Fusion the problem was gone.

It happened right after I had backed up my laptop to an external drive and then restored it from the external drive to another laptop. When I booted up the other laptop and started Fusion, Fusion asked whether I had moved or copied my VM. I told it that I had copied my VM. Then it complained about a problem related to the kernel and shut down the VM. After I reopened the VM, I experienced the keyboard input problem. But meanwhile, I was able to open and use a Win XP VM without problems.

0 Kudos
TrevorJacques
Contributor
Contributor

it seems that if "[b]Enable MacOS keyboard shortcuts[/b]" is selected in the VMWare Preferences, then the problem appears. Unchecking it seems to immediately allow Fusion to Grab the keyboard.

Does NOT work on my iMac. Smiley Sad I've tried just about every remedy I can find. This product just won't accept keyboard input. I'm settling on Parallels, because it works without any problems. I can't afford to waste any more time with a product that does not work, and for which there is no technical support line.

0 Kudos
Cluebringer
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue and it just started today:

I started my XP Pro x64 guest and was able to use the mouse to map a drive on my network, but after I opened a document, I was unable to use the keyboard at all.

The same issue happened with Vista x64 Business Edition.

I'm using VMWare Fusion Version 1.0 (51348), on a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM.

I've tried all the suggestions/solutions listed above, but have had no positive results. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
swl9
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue as others, on a 2.16GHz iMac 24" running Win XP Pro SP2. Unable to direct any input to the virtual machine. Click in the window, but no response. I had previously used a beta version and did not have this problem. I always thought subsequent releases were supposed to be improvements, but I guess not.

0 Kudos
ecsk2
Contributor
Contributor

MacPro with WinXP same exact problem keyboard locks up, tries BT on/off (since I did have a BT KB at first) sometimes that seems to have "restarted" the keyboard, and sometimes swaping a USB port seems to have helped

but in reality there seems to be nothing that is a def solution on the matter.

Frankly the whole 30 day trial period I had ZERO issues with anything, the very same day I paid for the SW I started having a number of different issues this KB issue being one.

Is there any hope someone from VMware might actually reply in this thread?????

Oh might I add that my ALT key does register (on the menus), and that pressing any key on the kb will indeed give a "beep"

If they are expecting customers to continue to pay $80 for this software they better improve their support ASAP!

0 Kudos
Designer72
Contributor
Contributor

I just found a fix for my particular problem with the keyboard not

working. I don't have SecureClient so I was really confused, so I just

started disabling programs in OSX. I found that XHub was causing my

keyboard to stop working. Once I disabled it everything worked fine. I

hope this helps someone who was as frustrated as I was. I would think about what you installed just before it stopped working and disable it and see if some other program happens to be conflicting as well.

0 Kudos
ecsk2
Contributor
Contributor

We found out that in our case as mentioned above it was the OPERA browser that caused the problem, and just a note to anyone that would be the OPERA browser on the MAC, not on the virtual machine as we first thought,

yes we have it on "both" machines, maybe not everyone has it like that but we chose to.

0 Kudos
Cluebringer
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, I found that it was not Opera or any other application.

I got fed up and deleted my VMware installation (Not my images, just the app) and reinstalling it. That didn't work, so I deleted the application and all libraries that are related to it, and reinstalled it again.

That worked - now I have full access to all of my tools again, and can use XP and Vista without any effort at all.

Perry

0 Kudos
vexbit
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to second that - I was having the same issue with 1.1 RC 1 - So I grabbed the latest version 1.1 release, reinstalled and tried again. No dice - I read this thread and closed Opera following ecsk2's experiences, I restarted VMWare Fusion 1.1 and immediately my keyboard input started working again in my VM.

A completely bizarre bug, but easily resolved!

- Martti

0 Kudos
ecsk2
Contributor
Contributor

Kiva etta onnistui Smiley Happy

I don't have to restart any of the machines though...

0 Kudos
pipebender
Contributor
Contributor

shutdown Opera running in OSX fixed my dead keyboard on VM right away.

0 Kudos
dppeak
Contributor
Contributor

For me, I was having the same problem where my keyboard wouldn't work within WinXP. I tracked down the issue as being with Sofa Control and the "Activate workaround for double action behavior" option under the Advanced tab in Settings.

0 Kudos
jnickell
Contributor
Contributor

Opera seems to be the problem for me too but I found that it only happens if I have Opera running but with no active windows. (i.e. you hit the 'x' on the browser)

If I open a new opera browser window, or quit opera it works again.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Opera is a known "secure input" bug offender as is Checkpoint VPN. VMware has contacted the various developers of these products on the best practices for avoiding conflict with other OS X apps.

0 Kudos
hugoniot
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting to see that this is such a common problem, yet no real solution. Sounds like a major bug in Fusion.

I don't have Opera installed on either my Mac or my XP machine, so that is not necessarily a cause of the problem. And can't always be used as a solution, either.

One other person suggested to uncheck "Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts" in the preferences window. Initially this did not solve the problem In addition I found that I had to resize the VM window. But then after going back to the preferences window (while the VM was still open and running) and rechecking the "Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts" option, I once again lost control of the VM window. Resizing the window did not solve the problem. But going back to the preferences once again, and again unchecking the option, fixed the problem. So maybe this option should be unchecked.

In any event, this problem seems to be intermittent, and I can use Fusion for a week with no problems, and then suddenly nothing works. Hopefully VMWare can work to resolve this major bug.

0 Kudos
davidqc
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem with VM Fusion 1.1.1 on a MacBook Air--I Converted Windows 2000 Server from Virtual PC using VM Converter. VM Importer did not wok. I am in the process if trying to install VMware tools but it has been running for over 2 hours. I cannot use my mouse or keypad on the MacBook Air

0 Kudos