VMware Communities
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Difficulties to complete Windows XP opening, in a virtual machine

Hello folks,

I am Brazilian and for many years, in fact since 2008, I use VMware to run Windows XP in my iMacs. Presently I have it installed in an 2013 iMac, running Mojave. The only need for Windows, and for that reason VMware, is a Lotus Organizer, where I have important registers since 1997.

I never upgraded Windows and the one installed in the virtual machine is Windows XP. If I am not wrong my VMware version is 8.5.1.

Due to problems to run Windows, on early 2018, I had to restore it to a moment before the problem, and always when I use VMware to open the Windows virtual machine,  it shows a System Utility setup box, where I need to click OK to proceed with the opening

What happened late 2018, was that the cursor on the virtual machine, a golden arrow, for unknown reasons, turned to that small pointing hand and under such shape, it doesn’t activate any button.  Due to such I am unable to finish Windows opening.

I already tried several things, to to avoid the cursor change to the little hand, but all were unsuccessful. I am able to open VMware, but as Windows opening doest complete, I am unable to run it  and need to quit VMware.

Attached some pictures of the problem

Any help will be extremely welcome

Thanks   Paulo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ola Paulo,

It sounds to me like you might be bumping into a macOS Mojave security setting where Mojave does not let you interact with the VM.

In order to fix that you have to allow VMware Fusion in the security settings.

Eg. go to apple menu -> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility

pastedImage_0.png

Put a checkbox with "VMware Fusion".

If you do not have VMware Fusion in the list there, then create a temporary Windows 10 Virtual Machine (without disk) then start it.

In that case macOS Mojave should ask you if you want to allow VMware Fusion access, answer Yes.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos