VMware Communities
angus4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Different drag & drop, mouse behavior on different user accounts on same Windows 10 Pro virtual machine

I just upgraded to Fusion 8.1 on Mac OS X 10.11.3 "El Capitan" on a new 27 inch 5K Retina iMac. The guest OS is a new Windows 10 Pro virtual machine. I have two user accounts on the virtual machine, my local administrator account and another local standard user account. When I'm logged into my account I'm able to drag and drop files to and from the guest OS to the Mac normally. Also the mouse moves freely between the guest OS and the Mac. However when I log on using the other standard account I'm unable to drag and drop to and from the guest OS to the Mac. Also once I click into the virtual machine the mouse movement is restricted to the virtual machine until i press the control-command keys on the Mac to release mouse movement back to the Mac. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the vmware tools but the same behavior persists. Any ideas on a solution and why these two user accounts would act differently?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
angus4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just got off phone with VMware support. They solved the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling VMware tools and changing the following preference VMware Fusion->Preferences->General-> Gaming: to "Never Optimize mouse for gaming". It had been set to "Always optimize mouse for gaming".  After that drag & drop, mouse movement works smoothly and perfectly now. Thanks VMware support!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi angus4,

I didn't reproduce this issue on my Mac, it seems the Tools doesn't work correctly when you using local standard user. For trying to debug this issue, you could re-install the latest Tools under administrator account, and try below steps:

1. Open Local Users and Groups Management from Start Menu > All apps > Windows Administrator Tools > Computer Management

2. Click Local User and Groups in left list

3. Click Users and right-click on the blank space on the right pane

4. Select New User... from contextual menu to create a standard user

5. Login into the new user account and open Task Manager from Start Menu > All apps > Windows System > Task Management

6. Observe two Tools processes are working correctly

7. If the Tools works well, please try to drag file from host to the VM and reverse.

If these could not resolve the issue, please collect and provide us necessary files from Fusion menu > Help > Collect Support Information, Thanks.

0 Kudos
angus4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just got off phone with VMware support. They solved the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling VMware tools and changing the following preference VMware Fusion->Preferences->General-> Gaming: to "Never Optimize mouse for gaming". It had been set to "Always optimize mouse for gaming".  After that drag & drop, mouse movement works smoothly and perfectly now. Thanks VMware support!

0 Kudos