VMware Communities
theboss70
Contributor
Contributor

Differences between two equal virtual machines

Hi everyone,

I created a windows virtual machine and then I made a copy of it.

I put the new machine on another computer.

Is there a way to identify, within windows, that there are 2 different virtual machines?

I want to protect my software with a unique key based on the machine it runs on, but I don't know how to handle it with virtual machines.

thank's

Omar

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That would depend on what factors/inputs/element you could use to generate the unique key.

Some vendors do it by the MAC address of the network adapter (whether Windows is running on a physical system or in a virtual machine).

What are you actually trying to prevent?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
theboss70
Contributor
Contributor

At the moment nothing, I can use the mac address but it works if the VM is on the same PC in two different PC I can have the same.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You still haven’t said what you’re actually trying to prevent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos