VMware Communities
trixiesirish
Contributor
Contributor

Did VMWare Fusion kill my Quicken 2007?

I've spent the last week trying to get a group of software for a programming class to play nice in Parallels, then Virtual Box, then VMWare Fusion 4.1 on my Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. I hadn't upgraded to Lion yet because of stupid Quicken 2007.

Overall, I'm loving VMWare most, but now I can't get Quicken 2007 to open. It crashes every time I try to import or export from Quicken. It's never done that before.

After spending more time than I care to think about on this (especially after spending a week trying to get this other software to work), I copied the backup file over to my MacBook Pro, which also has Quicken 2007 on it, and does NOT have VMWare Fusion on it. Quickbooks was more than happy to export from itself.

So, did Fusion kill off my Mac Pro copy of Quicken?

I have trashed my Quicken preferences, repaired my permissions, zapped my pram, run Disk Warrior, rebuolt my directory, rebuilt Quickens lists, copied a backup file over from Time Machine from a month ago, reinstalled Quicken from a disk...and I go to export or import, and the application crashes by quickly closing.

I know Quicken 2007 is pretty long in the tooth, but Quicken Essentials sucks, and I haven't been thrilled with iBank, Moneydance, and See Money, or whatever that is.

Can anyone help?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any Console.app logs from when this happens?

I suspect it's unlikely Fusion is doing anything (especially if it's not running; 4.x unloads extensions when not running, and if you don't have the Fusion menulet active, I don't think there's any Fusion code active), but who knows. Another thing to try would be to uninstall Fusion, but I suspect you'll see the same behavior.

FWIW I'm in a similar situation. My main laptop is still on 10.6 pretty much only because of Quicken, although in my case it's 2006. I just tried exporting and importing (I even had a Fusion 4.1 virtual machine running throughout the process), and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
trixiesirish
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I'm getting:

2/2/12 8:23:39 PM    com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[254]    ([0x0-0x2d02d].com.intuit.quicken[474]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault

Think I'll research this a bit, maybe go onto the Intuit forums. I hadn't even thought to look at the console.app logs.

Although Fusion WAS running when it first crashed.

0 Kudos
trixiesirish
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm...goose eggs. I'm not sure how to recover from this, short of a clean install, and I have a lot of software on my Mac Pro, and really no time to play with this.

My thought is I'll just run it on my laptop for the time being, and just install Quickbooks Deluxe or Premier on my VM when I can afford it. I've been running Quickbooks 2012 on Parallels 7/Win 7, and it's just so unbelievably better. I'll move it over to VMWare, make sure it's running correctly, and jettison Parallels, which I've grown to hate over the years. They seem to do difficult for the sake of difficult.

Your answer was very kind - thank you.

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

trixiesirish wrote:

...So, did Fusion kill off my Mac Pro copy of Quicken?...

Can anyone help?

Sure. Don't blame VMWare, blame Apple. Word is spreading that the most recent Security Update for Snow Leopard kills Rosetta, which it looks like Quicken relies on. If you installed the Update before your problem started, that's probably the cause. Check here: https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.6_snow_leopard?view=discussions for discussion and one solution which looks relatively easy to do, if you're using Time Machine and you can speak French or use Google to translate.

trixiesirish
Contributor
Contributor

I love Apple, and have since 1983, but sometimes I just want to slap them silly.

I DID do the update this week on my Mac Pro, but not yet on my laptop. That explains it.

I do love VMWare - now I can see why all the computer instructors at school use it. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

trixiesirish wrote:

I love Apple, and have since 1983, but sometimes I just want to slap them silly.

I DID do the update this week on my Mac Pro, but not yet on my laptop. That explains it.

I do love VMWare - now I can see why all the computer instructors at school use it. Thank you for your help!

Glad to help. Now be aware that there are also problems with the Lion update to 10.7.3, so if you're running Lion on anything, I'd suggest steering clear of that too unless you use the combo updater rather than Software Update. If you follow the threads on that Snow Leopard Forum link, there appears to be a relatively easy solution if you maintain a Time Machine backup.

I assume that a lot of the Quicken activity right now involves tax time. What's odd is that back in March of 2007, Apple released a QuickTime update which killed TurboTax to much consternation. The solution, also an OS hack, was simple enough, but the problem never should have happened.

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Word is spreading that the most recent Security Update for Snow Leopard kills Rosetta, which it looks like Quicken relies on.

Ouch, thanks for the pointer.

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

FWIW,  Software Update now shows a version 1.1 of the Security Update. As of  right now, there does not yet seem to be an updated version on Apple's  support website. Since I didn't install the original, I don't know if  1.1 would be offered by Software Update as a fix if the original was  installed. And I'm sure not going to try 1.1 to see if the original  issue was fixed.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, the 1.1 version is indeed offered through Software Update as a fix for the previous one: just applied it in a 10.6 Server VM; and hopefully Rosetta applications should work, now...

0 Kudos