VMware Communities
twhc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleting a VM - dumb question

Hi,

I have been running a Windows 8.1 VM for many years now but still have my old XP vm as well.  I have not run that XP VM for years.  I am on Fusion 8.5.  Is there any reason why I can't delete the XP VM?  I can't think of one but wanted to be sure before I made this move.

Thank you for the help.

Tim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Based on what you told us so far, we cannot say for sure.

If both VMs have no relationship whatsoever then yes you can delete the XP one without harming the Windows 8.1 one.

If the Windows 8.1 was an upgrade of the XP one and you created a linked clone to do so then deleting the XP one would render the Windows 8.1 one unusable.

If you don't know, then one way to figure this out is by renaming the Windows XP one and see if you can still reboot the Windows 8.1 one.

You do this by:

- shut down (not suspend) your windows 8.1 VM

- In finder rename the Windows XP bundle by changing it's name.

- start the Windows 8.1 VM

If there's no problems booting the Windows 8.1 VM then you can delete the Windows XP VM or move it to an external disk.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Based on what you told us so far, we cannot say for sure.

If both VMs have no relationship whatsoever then yes you can delete the XP one without harming the Windows 8.1 one.

If the Windows 8.1 was an upgrade of the XP one and you created a linked clone to do so then deleting the XP one would render the Windows 8.1 one unusable.

If you don't know, then one way to figure this out is by renaming the Windows XP one and see if you can still reboot the Windows 8.1 one.

You do this by:

- shut down (not suspend) your windows 8.1 VM

- In finder rename the Windows XP bundle by changing it's name.

- start the Windows 8.1 VM

If there's no problems booting the Windows 8.1 VM then you can delete the Windows XP VM or move it to an external disk.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
twhc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Wil.  I appreciate your help.

I am pretty sure that the Windows 8.1 Pro was an original installation and not an upgrade.  Not sure I could do an upgrade from XP to 8.1 or not.  However, it was so long ago I can't quite remember. So, I am going to take your suggestion and change the name of the XP bundle and give it a test just to be sure.  I will report back.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
twhc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil,

All worked well doing as you suggested.  The 8.1 VM ran fine after changing the name of the XP VM.  No issues found.  So, I will delete the XP VM knowing all should be fine.

Also, I saw your link to the Vimalin app.  Looks great so I am going to give it a try.  I have been backing up Windows from within the VM using Acronis.  I would rather make backups of the VM.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Tim

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad to hear it all went smooth and you're welcome.

--

Wil

0 Kudos