VMware Communities
Johnny_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleting VMware and all it's associated folders/files removes Mac OS and virtual volume... correct?

Hi Everyone,

I used the VM trial for a bit, was running Mac 10.8 on my 10.9 machine. I used CleanApp to delete the VMware app and all it's associated folders/files. Was wondering if that technique also deletes the Mac OS that was installed in VM and removes the virtual volume? I seem to have lost a lot of free space on my SSD.

Thanks!

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Johnny_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this post Hard drive space missing after uninstalling VMware Fusion 6 and installed the suggested Disk Inventory X. The app found the Mac OS folder that contains the 21GB+ Virtual Disk.vmdk file and the rest. (I totally forgot about that folder and the location when I first installed.) Trashed the whole folder and seem to regain most of the lost SSD space but I think there still more that is lost.

The below article is kind of vague deleting the above folder that contains the Virtual Disk.vmdk file.

VMware KB: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aNico44432
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds similar to what I ran into, was an issue with mobile backups, see Re: Hard drive space missing after uninstalling VMware Fusion 6

0 Kudos
Johnny_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this post Hard drive space missing after uninstalling VMware Fusion 6 and installed the suggested Disk Inventory X. The app found the Mac OS folder that contains the 21GB+ Virtual Disk.vmdk file and the rest. (I totally forgot about that folder and the location when I first installed.) Trashed the whole folder and seem to regain most of the lost SSD space but I think there still more that is lost.

The below article is kind of vague deleting the above folder that contains the Virtual Disk.vmdk file.

VMware KB: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
Johnny_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Nico!

I looked at mobile backup folder/files. Was 17GB in size but did not see extra VM files, visible or invisible.

Is there any other places I could look for stray space hogging VMwave associated files?

Thanks!

John

0 Kudos
aNico44432
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Only other suggestion I would have is to run run Disk Inventory as root from a command prompt (sudo /Applications/appname.app/Contents/MacOS/appname), replacing appname with Disk Inventory X as then it will also show hidden files.  Have a look see if you've got any huge hidden files.

0 Kudos
Johnny_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks aNico44432

You can also get to the root showing hidden files using the "Select Folder" button at the bottom left of the Disk Inventory window.

In the end, not only did I have to delete the VM folder. but also the folder where the Mac OS was installed for VM. That folder contained  the 21GB+ Virtual Disk.vmdk file and the rest supporting files.

0 Kudos