VMware Communities
ApreMate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleted some s0xx.vmdk files

Hi,

I have VM Windows 10 on my Macbook running High Sierra. Works fine, when one system message appear telling that running near low disk space with suggestion for deletion of large files.

Accidentally I have deleted two of Virtual Disk-s02X.vmdk files, each 2GB. It doesn't ask me to confirm deletion, just despaired.

Can someone tell me whether is possible to recreate those two files, or I need to delete VM and create from new.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Isn't -s029.vmdk still missing from that?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
pwilk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It probably won't be possible to re-create those files. Have you checked your OSX recycle bin? They might still be there.

If not you will probably have to start fresh and crate a new VM

Cheers, Paul Wilk
ApreMate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer.

No, from the manage storage function on the Mac, doesn't send deleted files to trash can.

I will do fresh installation.

Regards

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually... there are two users here at the forum that _can_ help you in a case like this.

You might not be able to get all files, back but there's quite often some form of success..

You would either be looking at a.p.  or continuum  and you can basically ignore advice from everybody else on this particular topic.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Gilgor
> Accidentally I have deleted two of Virtual Disk-s02X.vmdk files, each 2GB.
It is important to know which files you actually deleted and which files are still present.
If you just deleted 2 of those and if they use a high number you may be able to get away with minimal damage.
So please post a list a files that you still have and attach the VMDK-descriptor-file.
That should be named "Virtual Disk.vmdk" and have a size of just a few kb.
Ulli

ApreMate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ulli,

I have make screenshot of the VM package content.

I think that I deleted files:

Virtual Disk-s026.vmdk

Virtual Disk-s027.vmdk

So, I have created new one (manualy) with some basic configuration content. That is why size is so small.

Thanks for any answer in advance.

Gligor

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 8.40.29 AM.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried to boot the VM ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Isn't -s029.vmdk still missing from that?

--
Wil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

oops - good catch

0 Kudos
ApreMate
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that was missing file for raising up VM.

I have created file s029.vmdk, it starts up Windows did some auto-repair tasks but couldn't succeed to repair (error: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE).

Thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

While you might not be able to boot from the disk, you might still be able to access files on it.

But then you would need to either:

- boot from a live CD

- add the virtual disk to another VM as a secondary disk

- mount the vmdk as a disk to the host (AFAIK at the moment you can only do that using paragon's vmdk mounter tool )

--

Wil

0 Kudos