VMware Communities
Cloudysusan
Contributor
Contributor

Delete boot camp partition

Hi, this might have been answered a million times but I just want to be doubly sure.

I started with boot camp partition and installed my Windows XP on it. After a while, I installed VMware and imported the boot camp partition as a VM. I heard that this physical partition can be redeemed by using boot camp assistant again provided I did a file based Virtual Machine. How do I make sure of that? I just want that 30GB back without touching the XP that I have been using on VM. Is that possible?

Thank you very much for advice in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you did import the Boot Camp partition as a normal file based Virtual Machine then the Virtual Machine Package will be large i size, in the GB range, compared to Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine that is using the Raw Disk as it is just meta-data and is usually less then a MB (not counting .log files in the Package) when Fusion is not running. Also the default location for the Raw Disk Boot Camp partition is "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" while the default path for normal file based Virtual Machines is /Users/$/Documents/Virtual Machines although normal file based Virtual Machine can be stored in other locations the default Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine that is just meta-data will be stored in the path shown.

You can ctrl-click on a Virtual Machine in the Virtual Machine Library window and select Show in Finder and the ctrl-click the Virtual Machine Package and select Get Info.

Cloudysusan
Contributor
Contributor

Oh wow Woodyz, that's like a really straightforward to tell, esp I have forgotten whether I did the import. Now I can delete the partition in peace!

Thanks so much!!!

0 Kudos