VMware Communities
John_Christoph1
Contributor
Contributor

Delete Bootcamp partion but retain virtual machine?

I have a bootcamp partion on my iMac and a Fusion VM--I set up the bootcamp partion first. I'd like to get rid of the bootcamp partion and just use the VM. Is there a way to do this?

another possibility: On my MacBook Air, I have just the VM set up. Is there a way and would it be easier to transfer this over to my iMac (or would the different hardware settings create too many problems)?

Sorry this is probably a redundant question but I got confused trying to find an answer for this in the discussions.

John

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have a bootcamp partion on my iMac and a Fusion VM--

If this Virtual Machine a normal file based Virtual Machine or is it a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine?

I set up the bootcamp partion first. I'd like to get rid of the bootcamp partion and just use the VM. Is there a way to do this?

As far as getting rid of the Boot Camp partition this really has nothing to do with Fusion unless you're running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine. If the Boot Camp partition is not being use as a Virtual Machine the you can remove the Boot Camp partition using Boot Camp Assistant with is a part of OS X not Fusion.

If the Virtual Machine is the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine then you can convert/import depending on the version of Fusion you're using. 2.x has a built-in importer and 1.x would require you using VMware Converter.

another possibility: On my MacBook Air, I have just the VM set up. Is there a way and would it be easier to transfer this over to my iMac (or would the different hardware settings create too many problems)?

In general normal file based Virtual Machines are highly portable and can be use on different physical system regardless of what physical system they were created on however are some constraints although in your case use scenario as long as the virtual hardware versions are compatible with the version of fusion you have installed there shouldn't be any real issues.

FWIW It is very important that you be very explicit and specific when asking questions and as you can see there is some ambiguity here because you were not specify about what type of Virtual Machine you have or what version of Fusion you're using so have a look at as a guideline as to the type of information to include when asking questions.

John_Christoph1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry it's a Boot camp partition virtual machine. I'm using Fusion 2.01 (with XP and I have the Vmware tools installed).

I did try the import command. When I use it from the File Menu, all the files are greyed out (see Picture 3 attachment). When I use the dialog button at the bottom of the Virtual Machine Library, I get an insuffient permissions message (see Picture 4 attachment).

John

0 Kudos
John_Christoph1
Contributor
Contributor

I copied my virtual machine over from my MacBook Air. So far so good.

Thanks!

0 Kudos