VMware Communities
TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Delay on Welcome Screen

Since updating to the GA release my Windows boot time seems to have gotten much longer, booting the BootCamp VM or BootCamp native produces the same result, a long wait on the Windows "Welcome" screen. The familiar Windows logon music plays within 10 seconds; however the Welcome screen stays in place for a full minute after the sound where previously the desktop was displayed almost immediately after the sound. Any ideas how to get this boot time back to where it was?

Thanks,

Guy

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jthall
Contributor
Contributor

Consider yourself lucky. I go get a cup of coffee, stop at the restroom to rid myself of said coffee, and chat with a colleague during the boot process.

:-}

Once it is booted, it is great, however. Much more stable on my system than parallels,

JTh

0 Kudos
TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Consider yourself lucky. I go get a cup of coffee,

stop at the restroom to rid myself of said coffee,

and chat with a colleague during the boot process.

:-}

Well, I guess I'm not the only one. The strange part is that with RC1 it booted very quickly, it takes at least twice as long with the GA release, all the extra time spent on the "Welcome" screen.

Guy

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Take a look at the following[/url] and see whether this applies to your configuration as well...otherwise, please post your log file ('~/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log')...

Ciao, Andreas

TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it's the same issue. To be clear, Fusion itself comes up just fine, the startup of windows is what is taking considerably longer. I have attached the log.

Thanks,

Guy

Message was edited by:

TraderGuy

0 Kudos
TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I uninstalled VMWare Tools and restarted, no more delay on the Windows Welcome screen, of course the VM miserable without the tools, reinstalled the tools and back to a minute and a half Welcome screen.

Is this normal boot up time or do I have an issue? It certainly seems that the tools are at least related to the slow boot issue. As I posted earlier I did not have this problem with RC1.

Guy

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

What version of the VMware Tools does it indicate?

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

The Tools are V7.3.2 Build 51348.

Guy

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does the Windows event log show anything failing or timing out during the time you receive the delay?

0 Kudos
TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

No error or timeout, a warning related to DHCP and IP assignment.

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 02004C4F4F50. The IP address being used is 169.254.25.129.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Guy

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am not sure if its related but that sounds like the IP range that Windows assigns when DHCP times out. Does networking function properly once you log in?

TraderGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure if its related but that sounds like the

IP range that Windows assigns when DHCP times out.

Does networking function properly once you log in?

Thanks, the issue appears to be solved, I have a loopback adaptor installed and that is what was timing out. I need the adaptor for some multi user software in use when I'm not on a network. The fix was to assign a fixed IP to the adaptor.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great! I am glad that issue has been worked out.

0 Kudos