VMware Communities
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

Default.vmx" line 147: Syntax

I hope someone can help, I moved my copy of XP to another drive while I cleaning up space on my MAC then moved the file back when I click on the file this is what I get.

File "/Users/mikexmas/Documents/vmware/Books.vmwarevm/Windows XP PRO Default.vmx" line 147: Syntax error.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Archive (compress) the vmware*.log  files from within the target Virtual Machine Package and attach the .zip  archive to a reply post and I'll create a new one from the .log files  for you.

Ctrl-click  the target Virtual Machine entry on the Virtual Machine Library window  and select Show in Finder and then crtl-click the Virtual Machine  Package and select Show Package Contents.

0 Kudos
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the vmware*.log files

By the way this all happened after I installed OSx Lion then moved my XP back to the document folder I was protecting my vmware XP file so I thought.

Thank you for the reply I hope you can fix it.

Cheers, Mike

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "Windows_XP_PRO_Default.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP PRO Default.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_XP_PRO_Default.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP PRO Default.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Hi Woodyz,

I am curious about how you batch adding the double quotation mark to the vmx value, such as:

In vmware.log, it's scsi0.present = TRUE

In vmx file, it's scsi0.present = "TRUE"

As far as I can thought, I am able to write a Python script, and break up the line to list, and then insert the quotation mark.

How did you do that?:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of years ago etung, one of the VMware Fusion developers, wrote a perl script and posted it to the forum.  Many of users just couldn't handle using it so I used some of the source code from his script, and created a Service for the Context Menu in Finder.  So I right-click on a file, preferable one of the vmware.log files, and select Services > VMX-Recovery.  It validates the file is a vmware.log file, creates the new .vmx configuration by its proper name as stated in the .log file, creates a .zip archive on the Desktop for easy access to upload to the forum and a canned message filling in the appropriate file name and opens a copy of the the .vmx file in TextEdit for quick review before I click the Post Message button.  The whole process from the time I save what the user attached, to clicking the Post Message button with the new configuration file takes around 10 seconds.  I don't even have to manually delete the .zip archive it created on the Desktop as it is automatically deleted 20 seconds after it's created. Smiley Wink

The script the etung wrote is at Re: Not a Valid Virtual Machine Configuration... and the quoting is handled by: s/([^=]*=) (.*)/$1 "$2"/;

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Hi Woody,

It's cool, I learn a lot from you reply. I am your fans.:smileysilly:

I find you have spent a lot of time on the community, so are you paid by VMware as a support, or it's just your interest, like join a open source development project? You are top five Guru on the whole community, I know it's very tough. So I am curious about what is your energy.:smileygrin:

Sorry, it's a personal question, and I don't know how to contact your personally. So if you are unconvenient to answer, please ignore it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thank you for the file, it looked like it was going to work but then it would not load I restarted it and it gave me an oporating system error some kind of syntax so I did a rollback but the last one was a year ago so that does not help in recovering my data.  I did make a copy of the original before I coypied your new file over so right now I am restoring it and will take a few hours once that is compleated I will wright down each of the errors and let you know what they are.

0 Kudos
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I attached the screen shots of the errors I am now getting after replacing the file I got from you.

you will notice the path for XP is on Time Machine it not realy Time Machine its jus a spare drive I had 🙂

I copied the file you gave me and when it asked I replaced it.

I then started fusion

I chose the file

It asked me if I moved it or copied it I chose copied it, just as a point I choise moved yesterday and resaulted in the same errors.

It was in a suspended state so I clicked resume.

Screen shot one is the first error I got

I cliked ok on the error and tried to resume it again and screen shot two is the error I get when ever I try to restart it.

I still have a copy of XP with the original syntax error so I can always do what ever you need me to do to fix it.

Thanks so much for your help, I hope it can be fixed.

Mike

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the file you requested, thanks WoodyZ

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Mike,

It's a permissions issue as all the files are showing owner/group as  _unknown/_unknown and this may be for everything on the "Time Machine" volume so you may need to use Verify Disk Permission in Disk Utility to correct it for the Volume however just for the Virtual Machine to get it back up and running have a look at: Investigating permissions for Fusion virtual machines

Woody

Note:  There may be other issues however the permission issue needs to be resolved first. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

Now I get a Disk Read Error, see attached

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

That is why I said "Note:  There may be other issues however the permission issue needs to be resolved first."

Run the "Collect Support Information" command again and then attach the new .tgz  file.

0 Kudos
mikexmas
Contributor
Contributor

As requested, I did this with the error on the screen

Keep in mind I do have a copy of XP that I saved with the original 147 syntax error so i can always take a step back if you need me to.

0 Kudos