VMware Communities
themonsterman
Contributor
Contributor

Default Windows Login

Can I change the default userid/password that gets logged into when starting a VM? When I installed Fusion Beta 3, it asked me for a userid/password to create. However, it didn't create that user in windows and it is starting up with the Administrator userid.

I would like to login, default-wise, to another userid.

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Just type in a different userid on the login screen. As long as it is a valid account/password, it should let you log in.

0 Kudos
themonsterman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but when I start the machine, it is already logging into the administrator id. I then have to log off of it and log into my id. I.e. I am not seeing the login screen at all. Is there an option I need to set? I am brand new to VMware, so please excuse my ignorance.

0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Once Windows is running, type the following into the Run box from the Start menu

control userpasswords2

There's a checkbox to either automatically login someone on start up or require a user to login. (I forget which it is off hand.) Anyway, if it's checked, uncheck it. If it's unchecked, check it.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>I am brand new to VMware, so please excuse my ignorance.

It has nothing at all to do with VMware. VMware simply provides a container in which to run another OS - and that OS believes it is running on a real PC. Your question is a Windows OS question.

That being said, it does sound like somehow you have enabled an auto-login. Either do what palter said, or (a)manually browse through the registry and disable the autologon key, or (b)download TweakUI and use its interface to turn off the autologon without having to delve into the registry yourself.

0 Kudos
themonsterman
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, Palter. This allowed me to correct the issue.

I would agree that this is a Microsoft problem, but I just created a brand new VMware image and answered the questions using the Fusion Beta 3 software. Two points of concern:

1. I filled in the information during the install to create my personal userid, but the id wasn't created. I had to create it after XP started up.

2. The machine was set to not request a login information which lead me to this problem.

Thanks to all that helped.

0 Kudos