VMware Communities
virtualfish321
Contributor
Contributor

Dedicate Physical NIC to Guest

Running OS X 10.7.2, Fusion 4.1.1, and am wondering if there's a way I can assign the physical ethernet port to the guest OS (XP).  I want to put my guest OS on a test network using ethernet, and keep using my mac side of things on my production network through the wireless.  But when I plug in the ethernet and assign that as bridged on the guest, the mac still tries to use that connection for different things so I can't connect to things on the production network.

Is there any way I can disable the ethernet port to the mac and have it directly assigned to the guest?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MonsterVM2011
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for my lack of Mac knowledge but from a Windows perspective you can disable the NIC within the OS, the vNIC in the VM will still be attached just not connected.

Not sure if that's is what you are asking. Also within the "Network Editor" in Workstation in Windows you can do a number of things to isolate the NW. Not sure if its the same in the Mac world but thought I would put my two bob in.

0 Kudos
MonsterVM2011
Contributor
Contributor

Just found the following if this helps

Manually forcing VMware Fusion to use specific network interfaces or connections

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001875

0 Kudos
virtualfish321
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply, but I haven't seen anything in fusion that gives more options on how to isolate the adapter or anything.  But your idea of turning the adapter off on the mac did work!  That didn't occur to me because I was thinking that if I turned it off on the host fusion would replicate the adapter state to the guest, but I guess that's not the case.  So that did work.

I also came up with a solution, too.  In the network preferences I found the adapter bindings order, and put the wifi at the top of the list, so it was the preferred adapter, and all mac traffic then routed off that.  So that accomplished what I was trying to do as well.

Thanks for suggstions!  Now I have two ways to do it!

0 Kudos