VMware Communities
AndersGoran74
Contributor
Contributor

Damaged vmdk file from snapshot - possible workaround?

I have a VM with Windows 7 installed in it, currently running with Fusion 6, but it was created several years ago with an earlier version, maybe 4 or 5, don't remember. There are multiple snapshots in the VM, and one (1) VMDK file related to one of these snapshots happens to be on a physical drive that's throwing read errors.

The file in question is called "Windows 7 x64-000002-s001.vmdk". I understand this is a "redo-log" file.

Due to the read errors, I can't copy that file to a new location. All other files in the VM copy just fine, I rsync'ed the entire folder and only one file is unreadable. It seems I don't have backup either - yes, stupid, but that's how it is.

Can I recover from this situation somehow? I can definitely live without that snapshot if I can just get the machine running consistently from it's current state.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

loosing a .vmdk snapshot file usually causes more or less data corruption/loss. With many snapshots, it depends on where in the chain this snapshot is, and the size of the snapshot (i.e. the data in this file).

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos