VMware Communities
B74A
Contributor
Contributor

DVR 4-channel in IE8, using dvrocx.ocx - black screen, no video

I have a 4-channel DVR, using DVROCX.OCX, an IE8 activeX component for windows only. Has to run under Internet Explorer, and only under windows.

The video output is not working. It will seem to play video, either live or playback, except the screen is black where the video should have been. Other than that, I can log in, use all the controls, access the settings and all that. All is good - but no video is rendered.

I have come so far as to understand that this is a video driver/display problem. VMWare has it's own driver, which I cannot do much about, can I? I have tried to fiddle with display driver settings, hardware acceleration and so on - so far no change. I have done this in WIndows control panel, as well as in VMWare settings.

As long as this does not work, I am not able to contact my DVR either locally nor remote, except when I fire up my old PC with windows XP. On that machine, the video displays just fine, and I have tried it from other windows machines as well.

Hope you can help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

google says that DVR also stands for digital video recorder - is it that what you are talking about ?

how do you connect it to the VM ? via USB ?

and when you speak about not being able to connect - is that the host or a VM ?

hmm - please rephrase your question

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
B74A
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if I was not sufficiently specific.

Yes, this is a 4 channel DVR recorder for surveillance purposes. It has its own harddisk, connects to a monitor, even has a remote, and a mouse can be connected.

But it also has a network cable, and thus has its own IP address. Using Internet Explorer (and only that browser), one can access it, either LAN or WAN. When a certain IE connects the first time, it will install an ActiveX component (in this case, called dvrocx.ocx), which enables it to connect, as well as the possibility to see live or recorded material, and access the settings.

All this works fine, except when I use my Mac and VMWare to access it, all the areas where the video is shown, is just black. I have come as far as to discover that it is a video driver problem. Because VMWare uses a virtual video driver, I cannot do that much about it.

I have latest version of all software installed, including VMWare tools. Not many settings there to fiddle with, or did I miss something?

I tried to change the resolution of the screen. Full screen Windows (XP), partial. 8 bit color, 32 bit, 640x480, 1920x1080 or something. Changed hardware acceleration, and now I even removed the VMWare driver. With the standard VGA driver it defaulted to, there is no longer dual screen, just the bug standard VGA driver from W XP.

I don't know enough about virtual machines to pinpoint the problem, but it is obviously something with the video driver in this case.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

so you connect to this video recorder with normal ethernet ?

then this is not a problem directly related to VMware.

Sorry - I have no suggestions other then enabling 3d support and raising the amount of videoRAM

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
B74A
Contributor
Contributor

It is not connected directly. Macbook connects to router via WiFi, router is physically (ethernet) connected to the DVR. I can connect to the DVR, and all functions are perfectly normal, except the videos do not render when I use VMWare. When I use my old Windows XP desktop, no issues at all. But I cannot drag that XP with me all over, I want to be able to run it from VMWare.

0 Kudos
B74A
Contributor
Contributor

This is still not resolved.

Is there any other way I can change the way the screen renders? Are there some directX settings, or similar which I can try to tweak?

Is it in OSX, VMWare or WXP I should/could do some tweaking?

0 Kudos
asdgn67ye
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution to see the dvr cameras with you Mac? I have the same problem with no video and no one from VMWARE answers or gives a solution.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
marek1712
Contributor
Contributor

If you're using DVROCX ActiveX the issue is probably related to multi-monitor setup. I've encountered it with the physical computer - once the second monitor is enabled (extended, duplicate, never mind) - I get only grey screens. Haven't found solution yet (aside from using dedicated viewer for DVR).

0 Kudos
tripz0r
Contributor
Contributor

I am using this software http://www.videocapx.com cold i open video ocx files?

0 Kudos