VMware Communities
IXXIGolfer
Contributor
Contributor

DV Camera Support via firewire

Does anyone know how to connect a DV Camera http://i.e. Panasonic GS-120 via firewire in the VMWare Fusion environment

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

VMware Fusion (and to the best of my knowledge, all existing virtualization products) does not support Firewire in the guest

0 Kudos
IXXIGolfer
Contributor
Contributor

How do you connect a firewire camera via Fusion

Can you operate in a mode other than Guest ??

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

How do you connect a firewire camera via Fusion Can you operate in a mode other than Guest ??

You can not directly connect a FireWire Device to a Fusion Virtual Machine (Guest OS) as there is not support in a Virtual Environment to directly access the hardware on a FireWire BUS!

You would have to access the device on the Host and process accordingly.

What specifically are you trying to do? If the Data Store on the DV Camera is accessible (mountable) via OS X then you could share that mount point and access it through the Network or use VMware Shared Folders however I recommend the former over the later as VMware Shared Folders are know to be problematic at times although YMMV.

0 Kudos
IXXIGolfer
Contributor
Contributor

We operate promotional communities for sports organizations and corporations.

Part of our proces is using Vertex and Dartfish video capture software. This means connecting a the DV camera directly to the computer so the video capture software can recognize and capture video from the cameas.

Know you can do his via bootcamp in a separate windows partition. We thought that VMWare supported firewire.

This is a REAL PROBLEM if it is not supported

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

As far as I can tell, Dartfish is just video analysis software. Do you actually need to capture the video through it, or can it process video files? If you need to capture video through it, then you will need to use either a USB camera (which still may not work) or you would need to boot Windows natively. If it can process existing files, you may be able to use iMovie or something similar to get the video from the camera and onto the host OS, then send the files to the guest.

I can't tell what Vertex is.

0 Kudos
IXXIGolfer
Contributor
Contributor

Vertex and Dartfish are both video capture and analysis programs. They are the popular video capture software used by most established Sports Academies in the US and Europe. They do require a DV camera to be connect directly to the computer via firewire. USB Cameas do not work in these environments.

Our goal was to use VMWare to capture the video via these programs and provide some game improvement analysis with these package. Then do the heavy lifting for video production with the Mac.

However, it looks like VMWare is not a solution. I am really disapointed in their lack of firewire support - this is a huge surprise. Have no idea why they would ignore this KEY feature, but it is what it is.

Looks like we are stuck with BootCamp

Appreciate your input

0 Kudos