VMware Communities
matt30
Contributor
Contributor

DOS TCP/IP Stack Fails to Initialize

I am having network problems using a commercially available software application for theatre lighting control systems. This works successfully using MS Virtual PC for Mac on my G4. I have duplicated all my settings from the VPC and installed the software in the same way on the new VMWare virtual machine using a genuine DOS 6.22 set of floppy disks.

When initializing the network drivers as detailed in the software documentation, the following is displayed:

Digital Semiconductor 2104x/2114x 10/100 mbps Ethernet Controller v2.62

(C) Copyright 1994-1997 Digital Equipment Corporation. All rights reserved.[/b]

The section I normally see underneath this regarding the TCP/IP Stack does not display.

Attempting to execute the application gives the error:

Failed to initialize...

TCP/IP Stack could not be initialized[/b]

Please can someone help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

VMware doesn't emulate a DEC/Intel 21xxx network card like Virtual PC so those settings are not appropriate. When you configure the network card try selecting the AMC PCnet or lance network card , then TCP/IP should initialize

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Search the Workstation forum - I've posted info on setting up networking in DOS VMs a few times. You will need to download the DOS/NDIS2 (or NDIS3) drivers from AMD's website[/url].

matt30
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I'm still having problems, mainly due to my limited knowledge of installing DOS drivers etc. I am running VMware Fusion on a Mac and I am in need of a more detailed explanation if I can make this work. I downloaded and extracted the following files, but I have no idea what to do with them now.

Help is very much needed and appreciated.

pcntnd.dos

pcntnd.nif

protocol.ini

Message was edited by:

matt30

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'm working on writing up info on setting up a DOS VM with sound, networking, etc. I'll get it up on my website soon.

0 Kudos
matt30
Contributor
Contributor

I got it to work, after looking through your other posts, Thanks!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Glad it's working.

I'm pulling together all of the pieces one needs for a DOS VM - all the drivers and utilities - and writing up directions step by step, so it's taking a little while. So hopefully folks won't have to go digging through old forum posts. Smiley Happy

Rob

0 Kudos