VMware Communities
smithjwsm
Contributor
Contributor

DHCP Servers in Fusion

Total newbee here. have been tearing through all of this information; but, I seem to be daft.

Can a machine built as a virtual server actually serve up dhcp addresses? or can that only be done by vmware itself. I have looked through the boot.sh and the vmx file until I am cross-eyed; but, it doesn't seem to be so.

I was hoping to test out ddns and dhcp principles building off of a SBS 2003 R2 VM. i suspect i am out of luck. btw excellent documentation.

:_|

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

Not sure if I understand exactly what it is you are trying to do. If you are asking if you can run a DHCP server on a VM, then I would think yes. The networking configuration for the subject VM would have to be Bridged so the VM appears as a peer on the network. It may not work because in reality the host has the only physical network card, and DHCP operates at too low a level for the Virtual Network used by the VM, but I would think there is a chance it will work.

Should be easy enough to set up and test.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, a virtual machine can serve as a DHCP server. NAT and host-only network modes come with a DHCP server, though, so if you want to use one of them, you need to disable our DHCP server by editing boot.sh.

0 Kudos